Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the power

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    I have been working on a new idea. However, i could not find out how to calculate the r.p.m of the power source. How do i do it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

What are you talking about?
  4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    well i'll give you an overview.
    i have calculated the torque. what i want to know is how to find out the rpm of the engine. it is a new type of engine. what are the variables i need to know and stuff.
  5. Oct 11, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Oct 13, 2006 #5
    hello banerjeerupak
    well,when u mention how much power(max power the engine can produce--)u have to mention at which speed?
    so at a certain speed u can get a certain power-
    and for this max power the engtine can generate---its can be monitored at a different values for the speed---in an indicated diagram of the power&speed ---
    which kind of the power u talking about?
    for the rated power-couldnt u see the max speed in the dashboard?and then u could calculate how much power?
    for the brake hp__u could use a dynamometer_in which the speed is indicated_and torque calculated_and then (torque*angular velocity=power)
    hope i could help u-
  7. Oct 14, 2006 #6
    thank you 'Q_Goest' for the website. it was the thing that i was looking for. thanks 'machinest' for explaining how to put the problems as well as the variables in question....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?