Calc QED Charge Particle Repulsion/Attraction

In summary, this conversation discusses how to Calculate cross section of scattering processes using Feynman diagram and formalism. You need to calculate this at least to second order in order to understand the results.
ILoveParticlePhysics
TL;DR Summary
What is the formula for calculating the repulsion/attraction of charged particles in quantum electrodynamics?
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You just draw the Feynman diagram and calculute it according to the rules derived from the formalism. Feynman diagrams are just an ingenious shortcut to do these perturbative calculations. What you get are transition-matrix elements (S-matrix elements) from which you can calculate cross sections of scattering processes.

Note that you will need to calculate this to at least second order, because at leading order the scattering is the same either way.

vanhees71 said:
You just draw the Feynman diagram and calculute it according to the rules derived from the formalism. Feynman diagrams are just an ingenious shortcut to do these perturbative calculations. What you get are transition-matrix elements (S-matrix elements) from which you can calculate cross sections of scattering processes.
So, I calculate and draw the Feynman diagram, from which I get the S matrix elements from which I get the cross section of scattering processes which tells me how everything is going to repel/attract, right?

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Note that you will need to calculate this to at least second order, because at leading order the scattering is the same either way.
This might sound dumb, but what exactly is 2nd order.

Likes vanhees71
That looks like a good summary, but of course to really understand it, you should refer to some textbook on quantum field theory, e.g.,

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard
Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York
(2014).

Likes ILoveParticlePhysics
ILoveParticlePhysics said:
This might sound dumb, but what exactly is 2nd order.

Um, you haven't done any QED calculations, have you? It would be better for you to fill in your background than having me define words you don't understand with other words you don't understand. The easiest calculation is probably e+e- --> mu+mu-. I'd start there.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the concept of charge particle repulsion/attraction in Calc QED?

In quantum electrodynamics (QED), charge particle repulsion/attraction refers to the phenomenon where particles with like charges (repulsion) or opposite charges (attraction) interact with each other through the exchange of virtual photons.

2. How does charge particle repulsion/attraction affect the behavior of particles?

The repulsion/attraction between charged particles plays a crucial role in determining the stability and structure of atoms and molecules. It also governs the interactions between particles in the nucleus, such as protons and neutrons.

3. What is the mathematical equation for calculating charge particle repulsion/attraction?

The mathematical equation for calculating charge particle repulsion/attraction is known as Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Can charge particle repulsion/attraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, charge particle repulsion/attraction can be observed in everyday life. For example, when you rub a balloon against your hair, the balloon becomes charged and can stick to walls or your hair due to the attraction between opposite charges. Lightning is also a result of charge particle repulsion/attraction between clouds and the ground.

5. How does the concept of charge particle repulsion/attraction relate to other fundamental forces?

Charge particle repulsion/attraction is one of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It is responsible for most of the macroscopic interactions we observe in everyday life and is crucial for understanding the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.