• Thread starter JoeyBob
  • Start date
JoeyBob
Homework Statement:
See attached
Relevant Equations:
attached
So I start by isolating v

the speed here would be the square root of the partial t derivative divided by the sum of the partial x and y derivatives.

the amplitude, phi and the cos portion of the partial derivatives would all cancel out.

What I am left with is the sqrt(43.1 / ( 2.5 + 3.7 ) = 2.6359, but the answer is 9.56.

More step by step of my work:

Partial derivative of x is A2.5cos(2.5x+3.7y-43.1t)

This trend continues will all the other partial derivatives with A and cos(2.5x+3.7y-43.1t) being canceled out in the end. This would mean 2.5 is left for x, 3.7 is left for y, and -43.1 is left for t. Phi will also cancel. Now

0=2.5+3.7-43.1/v^2

v=sqrt(43.1/(2.5 + 3.7))

This gives the wrong answer of 2.64.

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 60

Answers and Replies

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2022 Award
Did you notice the "2" on all the derivatives??

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I think it will be easier if you substitute the given wavefunction into the wave equation, simplify what needs to be simplified and then solve for v instead of first solving for v in terms of the partial derivatives. Also, I would recommend working symbolically with ##\phi(\vec r,t)=A\sin(k_x x+k_y y+\omega t)## to write the derivatives, find a symbolic expression for ##v## and then substitute numbers.

Last edited:
JoeyBob
Did you notice the "2" on all the derivatives??
Oh

JoeyBob
I think it will be easier if you substitute the given wavefunction into the wave equation, simplify what needs to be simplified and then solve for v instead of first solving for v in terms of the partial derivatives. Also, I would recommend working symbolically with ##\phi(\vec r,t)=A\sin(k_x x+k_y y+\omega t)## to write the derivatives, find a symbolic expression for ##v## and then substitute numbers.
Whats the "wave equation?"

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Whats the "wave equation?"
The one given at the end of the attachment. Presumably the v is the speed you are asked to find. (There must have been a missing backslash in the latex, making ##\partial## display as ##partial##.)
But I think this is what you already tried, but overlooking that they're second derivatives?

I would have figured out the direction of the wave, effectively turning into a wave in one dimension, and taken the ratio of the coefficients to find the speed.

Suggested for: Calculating the speed of a water plane wave from the propagation equation

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies