1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating The Stick

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    I hope I've put this in the right forum, if not, please move it.

I'm wanting to calculate the van der Waals bonding force/area of 1 cm^2 of "setae" carbon nanotubes that are 0.4nm(4 angstroms) in diameter. Such nanotubes are the smallest physically possible so that's what I want to go with. I want to use the Johnson–Kendall–Roberts adhesion theory to calculate the force/area, but I don't understand it. Would someone explain this math to me so that I may go about doing calculations? Thank you.

Another problem is that these nanotubes don't have a hemisphere end, because carbon atoms aren't much smaller than this. The tubes do end in a dome-like cap, but it's only composed of a few atoms, so won't conform to simply making the ends of the tubes as perfect hemispheres in the calculations. What can I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2005 #2
    Hmmm, perhaps this was the wrong forum to post it in. Would one of the mods please move it to a better one? Thanks.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook