Calculating the strength needed for each electromagnet in a stepper motor

In summary, the conversation is about designing a stepper motor and the concern about the low force needed to maintain speed. The calculations show that each electromagnet only needs to pull 0.444 grams from a millimeter away, which seems too low. However, it is noted that the force needed will vary depending on the motor's inertia and the load it is driving.
SMD1990
I am designing a stepper motor, and I need someone to check my calculations. The results seem impossibly low...

Suppose the vehicle driven by the motor is already up to speed. The force needed to maintain that speed are, say, 100 Newtons.

At the speed, the stepper motor performs 15,000 steps per second. Each step is a millimeter.

If a Newton = Kilograms * Meters / Seconds2, then plugging in my values, I get:
100 Newtons = ? * 0.001 / 0.000066662
100 Newtons = ? * 225000​
So, according to my calculations, each electromagnet would only need to be able to pull 0.444 grams from a millimeter away.

That cannot be right, can it? If so, the power needed to drive such a motor seems to be unbelievably low. I mean, even the smallest, weakest electromagnets I have ever made can provide that little of a pull.

Certainly, I must be in err? No?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, your calculations seem to be correct. However, the force required to maintain a certain speed will vary depending on the inertia of the motor and the load it is driving. If the motor has a high inertia, or if the load it is driving is heavy, then the force required to maintain the same speed will be higher than the 100 Newtons you calculated.

1. How do you calculate the strength needed for an electromagnet in a stepper motor?

To calculate the strength needed for an electromagnet in a stepper motor, you will need to know the desired torque and holding force of the motor. Then, you can use the formula F = BIL to calculate the required magnetic field strength (B) based on the current (I) and length of the electromagnet (L).

2. What is the relationship between the strength of an electromagnet and its current?

The strength of an electromagnet is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. This means that increasing the current will increase the magnetic field strength and therefore the overall strength of the electromagnet.

3. How does the length of an electromagnet affect its strength in a stepper motor?

The length of an electromagnet plays a crucial role in determining its strength in a stepper motor. A longer electromagnet will have a larger surface area, which means it can generate a stronger magnetic field compared to a shorter electromagnet with the same amount of current.

4. What factors can affect the strength of an electromagnet in a stepper motor?

Besides the current and length of the electromagnet, other factors that can affect its strength in a stepper motor include the type of core material used, the number of turns in the wire, and the shape and size of the electromagnet.

5. How can I ensure that the electromagnets in my stepper motor are strong enough?

To ensure that the electromagnets in your stepper motor are strong enough, you should carefully calculate the required strength based on the desired torque and holding force. It is also important to use high-quality materials and ensure that the electromagnets are properly designed and positioned within the motor.