Calculating the time for a pressure change

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a fully closed box made of concrete is left in air and the pressure inside the box eventually increases to 1atm due to air coming in through the porous concrete walls. The question posed is how to calculate the time it takes for the pressure inside the box to reach 1atm from an initial pressure of 0.01atm, using the permeability coefficient and dimensions of the box. The respondent suggests that the asker should put in effort and understand the meaning of the permeability coefficient in this context before attempting to solve the problem.
Sam1010
I've been searching and it seems I am not smart enough to find the solution for this...

Let say I have a fully closed box made of concrete left in air. The pressure inside the box is 0.01atm. Since it is left in air, the air will come inside the box through concrete walls(since concrete is porous) and the pressure inside the box will go up to 1atm eventually(same as outside pressure).

If I have the permeability coefficient of the concrete and the dimensions for the box, how can i calculate the time required for the inside of the box pressure to go up to 1 atm from (0.01 atm)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Sam, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad##!

This looks a lot like an exercise or homework, and at PF that means an effort from your side is required:
What is the meaning of a permeability coefficient in this context ?

1. How do you calculate the time for a pressure change?

The time for a pressure change can be calculated by dividing the change in pressure by the rate of change. This can be represented by the formula: Time = Change in Pressure / Rate of Change. It is important to make sure that the units for pressure and rate of change are consistent.

2. What is the rate of change for pressure?

The rate of change for pressure can be determined by measuring the change in pressure over a specific time interval. This can be represented by the formula: Rate of Change = Change in Pressure / Time. The unit for rate of change is typically expressed as pressure per unit time, such as psi/minute or kPa/second.

3. How does temperature affect the time for a pressure change?

Temperature can affect the time for a pressure change because it can impact the rate of change. For example, if the temperature increases, the molecules in a gas will move faster and collide more frequently, leading to a faster rate of pressure change. This can be accounted for by using the ideal gas law, which includes temperature as a variable.

4. Can you calculate the time for a pressure change in a closed system?

Yes, the time for a pressure change can be calculated in a closed system. The change in pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge, and the rate of change can be determined by measuring the change in pressure over a specific time interval. As long as the system remains closed, the principles of gas laws and thermodynamics can be used to calculate the time for a pressure change.

5. How can you use the time for a pressure change in practical applications?

The time for a pressure change can be used in various practical applications, such as in scuba diving to determine how long a diver can stay at a certain depth before needing to ascend to avoid decompression sickness. It can also be used in industrial processes to control and monitor pressure changes in pipelines or in the production of gases. Additionally, understanding the time for a pressure change can be important in emergency situations, such as a sudden drop in cabin pressure on an airplane.