Calculating the width of the box for a particle in a box

In summary, the problem involves a ruby laser emitting light of wavelength 694.3 nm and the question is asking for the width of the box if the light is due to the transition from n=2 to n=1 state of the electron. The equations used are K=2pi/Lambda and kL=npi, and the solution involves computing the difference in electron energy levels and equating it to the energy of the photon. The calculated value of K is not the same as k, and further calculations are needed to determine the width of the box.
tarletontexan

Homework Statement

A ruby laser emits light of wavelength 694.3 nm. If this light is due to the transition from n=2 to n=1 state of the electron in a box, what is the width of the box?

Homework Equations

K=2pi/Lambda
kL=npi

The Attempt at a Solution

Thinkin about the problem, i have calculated K as shown in my formula to be 9049669 but when i use this k to find L then i end up with 694.3 again. I don't know if this is the answer or if this is a really big mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
The K and k in those equations are not the same. [tex]K = 2\pi/\lambda[/tex] is the wavenumber of the emitted photon. [tex] k = n\pi/L[/tex] are the wavenumbers of the electron wavefunctions. You need to compute the difference in electron energy levels and equate that to the energy of the photon.

What is a particle in a box?

A particle in a box is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle trapped inside a potential well, or "box". This model assumes that the particle is confined to a specific region and cannot escape, similar to a particle trapped in a physical box.

What is the significance of calculating the width of the box for a particle in a box?

The width of the box determines the possible energy states and energy levels of the particle. This calculation is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of quantum systems, and can be applied to a variety of real-world scenarios such as electronic devices and chemical reactions.

How is the width of the box calculated?

The width of the box, also known as the size of the potential well, is calculated using the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the particle inside the box and the kinetic energy of the particle, resulting in a set of solutions that represent the possible energy levels and wavefunctions of the particle.

What factors can affect the width of the box for a particle in a box?

The width of the box can be affected by various factors, such as the shape and depth of the potential well, the mass of the particle, and the boundary conditions of the box. These factors can alter the energy levels and wavefunctions of the particle, resulting in different behaviors and properties.

Can the width of the box for a particle in a box be changed?

Yes, the width of the box can be changed by altering the parameters of the potential well or by applying external forces to the system. This can lead to different energy levels and behaviors of the particle, making it a useful tool for studying and manipulating quantum systems in various applications.