Calculating Thevenin Resistance - Load Removal & Voltage at Load Terminals

• Thread starter esmeco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thevenin
In summary, calculating Thevenin resistance involves removing the load and determining the voltage at the load terminals. This can be done by finding the open circuit voltage and short circuit current, and then using Ohm's law to calculate the Thevenin resistance. The Thevenin resistance is an important concept in circuit analysis and can be used to simplify complex circuits into a single equivalent circuit.
esmeco
I was wondering,how do we calculate the thevenin resistance in a circuit with a load resistor?Do we remove the load?How do we calculate the voltage Lat the load terminals.Like for example in this circuit:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/esmeco/superpositionandthevenin.jpg

I'm a bit confused now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me?

What book are you using?

Actually I'm not using a book...If you're referring to those exercises,they're practice exams...ANd for guidance I'm using a book in a language which isn't english...But I'm really confused because I've heard my colleagues saying that you don't necessarily remove the load resistor to find the thevenin at the load terminals,but on the Internet they all say you have to remove the load resistor inorder to find thevenin voltage...In this case,if we remove the load resistor I'm not sure on how we calculate the voltage at those terminals...

Go through the video examples on this website,
http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=resource&bcsId=2149&itemId=0471487287&resourceId=5675

I think it will help you out more.

As far as Thevinin's goes, you:

1) Remove the load.
2) Find the voltage across the terminals of the removed load [itex] V_{th} [/itex]
3) Find the Thevenin equivalent resistance at those terminals [itex] R_{th} [/itex]

If only independent sources,
short voltages
open currents

If only dependent or both dependendent and independent it differs.
I'll type up how to do it, if you need it.

4) Connect the removed load up to your new equivalent circuit,

Vth----Rth----(+)
|
|
|-------------(-)

Load connects to (+), and (-) terminal

1. How do you calculate the Thevenin resistance?

The Thevenin resistance is calculated by removing all voltage and current sources from the circuit and then finding the equivalent resistance between the two terminals where the load is connected.

2. What is the purpose of removing the load when calculating Thevenin resistance?

Removing the load allows us to find the equivalent resistance of the circuit without being affected by the load. This allows us to accurately determine the Thevenin resistance, which is important in circuit analysis and design.

3. How does removing the load affect the voltage at the load terminals?

Removing the load does not affect the voltage at the load terminals. The voltage at the load terminals remains the same as it was before removing the load. However, the voltage may change if the load is reconnected to a different circuit.

4. Can the Thevenin resistance be negative?

No, the Thevenin resistance cannot be negative. Resistance is a physical property of a material or component and cannot have a negative value.

5. How does the Thevenin resistance affect the overall circuit performance?

The Thevenin resistance is an important factor in determining the overall performance of a circuit. It affects the current flow, power dissipation, and voltage drop in the circuit. A higher Thevenin resistance can result in a larger voltage drop and lower current flow, while a lower Thevenin resistance can result in a lower voltage drop and higher current flow.