Calculating Torque?

• Thread starter mawais15
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Calculating Torque??

i wonder how would i calculate the amount of torque required to give a rectangular piece of marble, an angular velocity of pi radians/second given the angular moment of inertia of that slab.

The bearing supports holds a coefficient of friction of 0.2 and the shaft diameter is 20mm. the angular moment of inertia of the slab about the rotation axis is 200 kg-m2. The distance between supports is 1 meter and the slab is in the center of the shaft.

Regards

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi mawais15! :smile:
i wonder how would i calculate the amount of torque required to give a rectangular piece of marble, an angular velocity of pi radians/second given the angular moment of inertia of that slab.
torque gives you angular acceleration (τ = Iα), not angular velocity …

once you find the angular acceleration, you can get the angular velocity using the standard constant acceleration equations :wink:

hi mawais15! :smile:

torque gives you angular acceleration (τ = Iα), not angular velocity …

once you find the angular acceleration, you can get the angular velocity using the standard constant acceleration equations :wink:
how about incorporating the bearing friction to maintain the desired angular velocity?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
the friction with the bearings is a torque also, so you just subtract it from the applied torque

but i the question is that how much torque do i have to apply..