Calculating total possible matching combinations remaining

• MHB
  • Thread starter charles1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combinations
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation was about finding a more efficient way to calculate the remaining possible winning combinations in each prize category after a ball has been selected from each bag. The solution suggested was to use the concept of probability and mathematical equations, specifically the formula (number of successes)^(number of bags - 1) x (number of failures)^(number of bags - number of successes) for 3 out of 4 and (number of successes)^(number of bags) for 4 out of 4. This approach would be more efficient than analyzing every possible combination.
charles1234
Hello

I'm working on an application and I have a problem that I've been wrecking my brain over. The best way I can explain it is through a game.

There are 4 bags with numbered balls in each (the total number of balls in each bag is irrelevant). You have to guess the number that is going to be selected from each bag and you will win a prize if you match all 4 selections and also if you match 3 out of 4. You are also allowed to play combinations, meaning you can have multiple guesses for one or more of the bags. So for example, you can play a ticket that looks something like this:

Bag one: 1, 5
Bag two: 4, 6
Bag three: 1, 9
Bag four: 7, 9

In this case the ticket has 16 different combinations (2x2x2x2). I've used two selections in each for simplicity but there could be an arbitrary amount in each.

The question is: How can I calculate the remaining possible winning combinations in each prize category after a ball has been selected from the 1st bag, then 2nd bag etc.

So for example:

First ball chosen is number 1. The answer would be 16 combinations for 3 out of 4 and 8 combinations for 4 out of 4.
Second ball chosen is number 3. The answer would be 8 combinations for 3 out of 4 and 0 combinations for 4 out of 4.

The only way I've managed to do this is by breaking it up into all possible combinations and then calculating the possible matches on each one but is there an easier way without having to analyse every combination?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems like you are trying to find a more efficient way to calculate the remaining possible winning combinations in each prize category after a ball has been selected from each bag. I would suggest looking into the concept of probability and using mathematical equations to solve your problem.

First, let's define some terms to make it easier to understand. The total number of balls in each bag is called the "sample space". The number of balls that match your guess is called the "successes". And the number of balls that do not match your guess is called the "failures".

To calculate the remaining possible winning combinations for 3 out of 4, you would use the formula: (number of successes)^(number of bags - 1) x (number of failures)^(number of bags - number of successes). In your example, the first ball chosen is number 1, so the number of successes is 2 (one in bag one and one in bag three) and the number of failures is 6 (two in bag two and four in bag four). Plugging these numbers into the formula, we get (2)^(4-1) x (6)^(4-2) = 8 x 36 = 288 possible combinations for 3 out of 4.

For 4 out of 4, the formula would be: (number of successes)^(number of bags). In your example, there are no successes for the second ball chosen, so the number of successes is 0. Plugging this into the formula, we get (0)^(4) = 0 possible combinations for 4 out of 4.

I hope this helps you with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Good luck with your application!

1. How do I calculate the total number of possible matching combinations remaining?

To calculate the total number of possible matching combinations remaining, you will need to know the total number of items in the set and the number of items that have already been matched. Subtract the number of items that have already been matched from the total number of items in the set to determine the number of items that are still available for matching.

2. What is the formula for calculating total possible matching combinations remaining?

The formula for calculating total possible matching combinations remaining is: (total number of items in the set) - (number of items already matched) = (number of items remaining for matching). This will give you the total number of possible matching combinations remaining.

3. Can I use a calculator to calculate total possible matching combinations remaining?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate total possible matching combinations remaining. Simply input the values for the total number of items in the set and the number of items already matched, and then subtract the two numbers to determine the number of items remaining for matching.

4. How do I know if I have calculated the total possible matching combinations remaining correctly?

To ensure that you have calculated the total possible matching combinations remaining correctly, you can double-check your calculations by manually counting the number of items that are still available for matching. Additionally, you can use a calculator to confirm that the number you calculated matches the number you obtained using the formula.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating total possible matching combinations remaining?

Calculating total possible matching combinations remaining relies on the accuracy of the information provided. If the total number of items in the set or the number of items already matched is incorrect, then the calculation will also be incorrect. Additionally, this calculation assumes that each item in the set can only be matched once, and does not take into account any other factors that may affect matching combinations.