1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating uncertainty

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    calculating uncertainty
    I have a lab where I have to calculate the theoretical value of R using the following equation and then find the uncertainty in R.

R=(xCOS(y))*((-xSIN(y)-SQRT((xSIN(y))^2-2*-9.8*z))/-9.8)
    *I know the values of x,y,z and their respective uncertainties.

The problem is that we have only learned basic uncertainty rules (i.e. for multiplication/division you add the %uncertainty, for addition/subtraction you add the absolute uncertainties). This is much more complicated since I have to deal with SIN/COS and square roots. I was searching around and it seems that I have to calculate the partial derivative or differentials. I am not familiar with differentials and I have no idea how to solve this problem. If anyone can offer any help whatsoever it would be greatly appreciated or anywhere where I can find this information.

i'm using excel if that makes any difference.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know how to calculate a derivative? If so, it shouldn't take more than a minute to learn how to take a partial derivative.

4. Apr 15, 2008 #3
    take extremes!
    simple and perfect

5. Apr 15, 2008 #4
    i know how do to partial derivatives but is the uncertainty just the partial derivative of the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?