How to Calculate Uncertainty in Complex Equations with Trigonometric Functions

• Thread starter questions
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating uncertainty in the theoretical value of R using a complex equation involving SIN, COS, and square roots. The individual is seeking help and guidance on how to approach this problem, particularly in regards to taking partial derivatives. They mention using Excel for this task.
questions
calculating uncertainty
I have a lab where I have to calculate the theoretical value of R using the following equation and then find the uncertainty in R.

R=(xCOS(y))*((-xSIN(y)-SQRT((xSIN(y))^2-2*-9.8*z))/-9.8)
*I know the values of x,y,z and their respective uncertainties.

The problem is that we have only learned basic uncertainty rules (i.e. for multiplication/division you add the %uncertainty, for addition/subtraction you add the absolute uncertainties). This is much more complicated since I have to deal with SIN/COS and square roots. I was searching around and it seems that I have to calculate the partial derivative or differentials. I am not familiar with differentials and I have no idea how to solve this problem. If anyone can offer any help whatsoever it would be greatly appreciated or anywhere where I can find this information.

i'm using excel if that makes any difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to calculate a derivative? If so, it shouldn't take more than a minute to learn how to take a partial derivative.

take extremes!
simple and perfect

i know how do to partial derivatives but is the uncertainty just the partial derivative of the equation.

1. What is uncertainty and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Uncertainty in scientific calculations refers to the amount of doubt or variability in the results. It is important because it helps us understand the accuracy and reliability of our measurements and calculations, and allows us to make informed decisions based on the level of uncertainty.

2. How do you calculate uncertainty?

Uncertainty can be calculated using the formula: uncertainty = (maximum value - minimum value)/2. This formula takes into account the range of possible values and gives an estimate of the uncertainty in the measurement or calculation.

3. What are the different types of uncertainty?

There are two main types of uncertainty: random uncertainty and systematic uncertainty. Random uncertainty is due to natural variations in measurements, while systematic uncertainty is caused by factors that affect all measurements in a consistent way, such as equipment error or human error.

4. How can you reduce uncertainty in scientific calculations?

To reduce uncertainty, it is important to use precise and accurate measurement tools, follow proper techniques and procedures, and repeat experiments multiple times to obtain an average value. It is also important to identify and minimize sources of systematic uncertainty.

5. How do you report uncertainty in scientific findings?

Uncertainty is typically reported as an interval, such as ±0.5 cm, or as a percentage, such as ±5%. It is important to include the uncertainty value when reporting scientific findings to accurately convey the reliability of the results.