Calculating uncertainty for hydrogen atom

In summary, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle relates the uncertainty in an object's position to the uncertainty in its speed. The minimum uncertainty in the speed of a tennis ball, assuming its position uncertainty is equal to its diameter, is 0.014m/s. It would take approximately 4.64 seconds for the ball to travel a distance equal to its own size at this velocity. This shows that it is not possible to accurately determine the position of a tennis ball with reasonable uncertainty.
crybllrd

Homework Statement

For a object of mass m, Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle relates the uncertainty in the object’s position Δx to the uncertainty in the object’s speed Δv:
(Δx)(Δv) ≥ (h divided by (4)(pi)(m))
where h is Planck’s constant.
Calculate the minimum uncertainty in the speed of a tennis ball of mass 0.058 kg, assuming that the uncertainty in its position is approximately equal to its own diameter of 6.5 cm. If you assume the tennis ball has a speed equal to the uncertainty value you calculated, how long would it take for the ball to travel a distance equal to its own size? Based on this, do you feel we can ever say where a tennis ball is with a reasonable uncertainty?
Repeat all of the above analysis for a hydrogen atom of mass 1.67 × 10−27 kg with diameter 1.06 angstrom.

Homework Equations

h = 6.62606896× 10e-34 J·s

The Attempt at a Solution

First I plug in the numbers to figure out velocity v:
(6.5cm)(Δv) ≥ (6.62606896× 10e-34 J·s divided by (4)(pi)(0.058kg))

(6.5cm)(Δv) ≥ (about) 9

Using basic algebra:

(Δv) ≥ 9/6.5

(Δv) ≥ 1.4

So then I plug 1.4 into (Δv)? What do I solve for? I'm not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You already have the answer. You forgot about the [itex] 10^{-34} [/itex] in your calculation however. Make sure you give the right units.

Hmmm I don't understand.
What do you mean by I forgot about the 10[tex]^{-34}[/tex] in your calculation? Do you mean I need to use that unit (seconds)?

If so, then I think the complete answer is that "it would take 1.4 seconds for the ball to travel a distance equal to its own size."

crybllrd said:
Hmmm I don't understand.
What do you mean by I forgot about the 10[tex]^{-34}[/tex] in your calculation? Do you mean I need to use that unit (seconds)?

you used h = 6.62606896 Js, instead of h=6.62606896× 1e-34 Js

If so, then I think the complete answer is that "it would take 1.4 seconds for the ball to travel a distance equal to its own size."

The first part of the question was: Calculate the minimum uncertainty in the speed of a tennis ball That is what you did (except for a factor of 1e-34)

the answer should be a speed, so the units should be in m/s. Convert the size of the ball to meters also.

OK I converted to meters(6.5cm=.065m). Now I have:

(.065m)(Δv) ≥ (6.62606896× 10e-34 J•s divided by (4)(pi)(0.058kg))

(.065m)(Δv) ≥ (about) 9Js

Using basic algebra:

(Δv) ≥ 9J•s /.065m

(Δv) ≥ 138.46m/s

The minimum uncertainty for the speed of a tennis ball is 138.46m/s

Now I must figure out how long it will take for the ball to travel a distance of its own size at a velocity of 138.46m/s.

Can I just divide .065m by 138.46m/s?

If so, then the ball will travel 4.6 × 10^-4m

you still use h = 6.62606896 Js, instead of h=6.62606896× 1e-34 Js

why do you think

(.065m)(Δv) ≥ (6.62606896× 10e-34 J•s divided by (4)(pi)(0.058kg))

implies

(.065m)(Δv) ≥ (about) 9Js

do you really think the minimum velocity uncertainty of tennis balls is 138 m/s ?

Ahh, ok, I was dividing with the correct number, but I didn't see the "e-4" at the end for a reason that is more suitable for a TI-84 technical forum. :)
Thanks for catching that!

(.065m)(Δv) ≥ .0009Js
(Δv) ≥ 0.014m/s

divide .065m by 0.014m/s:
4.64s

1. How is uncertainty calculated for a hydrogen atom?

The uncertainty for a hydrogen atom is calculated using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously. This means that the more precisely we know the position of the electron, the less precisely we know its momentum, and vice versa.

2. What is the uncertainty in the position of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

The uncertainty in the position of an electron in a hydrogen atom is equal to the Bohr radius (a0), which is approximately 5.3 x 10^-11 meters. This means that the electron can be found within a spherical region around the nucleus with a radius of a0.

3. How is the uncertainty in momentum related to the uncertainty in position for a hydrogen atom?

The uncertainty in momentum (Δp) for a hydrogen atom is related to the uncertainty in position (Δx) by the equation ΔpΔx ≥ h/4π, where h is the Planck's constant. This means that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum must be greater than or equal to h/4π.

4. How does the uncertainty in energy affect the hydrogen atom?

The uncertainty in energy (ΔE) for a hydrogen atom is related to the uncertainty in time (Δt) by the equation ΔEΔt ≥ h/4π. This means that there is a minimum uncertainty in the energy of the hydrogen atom, which can affect the stability and behavior of the atom.

5. How can uncertainty be reduced in the calculation of energy levels for a hydrogen atom?

Uncertainty in the calculation of energy levels for a hydrogen atom can be reduced by increasing the precision of the measurement of the electron's position and momentum. This can be achieved through advanced experimental techniques and equipment, as well as theoretical advancements in quantum mechanics.