Calculating values in a simple, multi-component inductor circuit

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the student is seeking help with an assignment for their first year computer science undergrad course in Ireland. The assignment involves calculations related to inductance and capacitance, and the student is struggling to understand the relevant equations. They are looking for guidance in solving the problems in order to pass the coursework and the module. The expert suggests understanding the variables in the equations and practicing with examples, and also encourages reaching out for additional help.
spoonbadger
Hi all, I'm a first time poster here, so this probably seems really audacious, but i have an assignment to do within the next 5 hours which decides whether i fail this year of college, so any help would be hugely appreciated. I'm a first year computer science undergrad in ireland (so it's curretly 3:19am, that's what kind of situation I'm in!) and this assignment is for my semi electrical engineering module. Our lecture has genuinely not shown how to do any of this and many of our class has already accepted having to do repeats because of this assignment.

Homework Statement

The problems are in the attached PDF file under the heading exercises. They look at simple at first but all i can find that relates to it is completely over my head and i barely know where to start.

Homework Equations

The relevant equations that have been recomended to me are as follows...

For dealing with inductance
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/0/1/7/0176317c32dcab8e53c5549022fbe524.png

For dealing with capacitance
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/8/1/b/81be8d3cde0015f1cf4c9c969849d868.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt at a solution? very little :(

The best I've managed is screwing around with the formulae and breaking down but i barely know what the variables relate to, let alone how to work them out to something useful or trustworthy.

Any help would be appreciated, all i need is a solid attempt at these questions to pass the coursework and by extension the module. Also, hope i haven't broken any rules with first post.

Thanks for reading
-kieran

Attachments

• Lab_4.pdf
    101.3 KB · Views: 183
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Kieran,

I understand the pressure you are under and I am happy to help you with your assignment. I have faced similar situations in the past and I know how stressful it can be. Don't worry, you can definitely get through this assignment and pass your module.

First of all, I want to assure you that it is not audacious to ask for help when you need it. It shows that you are determined to do well in your studies and that is commendable. Now, let's take a look at the problems in the attached PDF file.

The exercises seem to involve calculations related to inductance and capacitance. These are important concepts in electrical engineering and they can be a bit tricky to understand at first. However, with some guidance, I am sure you will be able to solve these problems.

The equations that have been recommended to you are the basic formulas for calculating inductance and capacitance. In order to use them, you need to understand what each variable represents. For example, in the inductance formula, L stands for inductance, N stands for the number of turns in the coil, and B stands for the magnetic field strength. Similarly, in the capacitance formula, C stands for capacitance, A stands for the area of the plates, and d stands for the distance between the plates.

Now, for the first problem, you need to find the inductance and capacitance of a coil with given dimensions. To do this, you will need to use the formulas and substitute the given values for each variable. For the second problem, you need to find the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor. Again, you will need to use the formula and substitute the given values.

I understand that this may seem overwhelming, but I assure you that with some practice, you will be able to solve these problems. You can also refer to your textbook or lecture notes for more examples and explanations.

If you are still struggling, I would recommend reaching out to your classmates or your professor for additional help. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification or guidance, as it is important to fully understand these concepts for your future studies.

I hope this helps you get started on your assignment. Remember to stay calm and focused, and I am confident that you will do well. Best of luck!

1. How do I calculate the total inductance in a simple, multi-component inductor circuit?

To calculate the total inductance in a simple, multi-component inductor circuit, you need to add up the individual inductances of each component using the formula L = L1 + L2 + L3 + ... where L represents total inductance and L1, L2, L3, etc. represent the individual inductances of each component.

2. What is the formula for calculating the total reactance in a multi-component inductor circuit?

The formula for calculating the total reactance (X) in a multi-component inductor circuit is X = X1 + X2 + X3 + ... where X represents total reactance and X1, X2, X3, etc. represent the individual reactances of each component.

3. How do I determine the phase angle in a simple, multi-component inductor circuit?

To determine the phase angle in a simple, multi-component inductor circuit, you need to use the formula tanθ = XL/R where θ represents the phase angle, XL represents the total reactance, and R represents the total resistance in the circuit.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel connections in a multi-component inductor circuit?

In a series connection, all components are connected in a single path, whereas in a parallel connection, components are connected in separate branches. In terms of calculations, the total inductance in a series connection is equal to the sum of individual inductances, while in a parallel connection, the total inductance is calculated using the formula 1/L = 1/L1 + 1/L2 + 1/L3 + ...

5. How do I use inductance values to calculate the current in a multi-component inductor circuit?

To calculate the current in a multi-component inductor circuit, you need to use the formula I = V/Z where I represents the current, V represents the voltage, and Z represents the total impedance of the circuit. The total impedance can be calculated by adding the individual impedances of each component, which includes both inductive reactance and resistance.