Calculating Vector Velocity in a Nuclear Reaction: Homework Problem

• Thread starter bobsmith76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, two particles, a neutron traveling at 1.0 × 107 m/s in the +x direction and a proton traveling at 5.0 × 106 m/s in the +y direction, combine to form a new particle called a "deuteron." Using the Pythagorean theorem, the magnitude of the new particle's velocity can be calculated to be 5.6 × 106 m/s. This is assuming that the neutron and proton have the same mass.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Consider a nuclear reaction in which a neutron traveling 1.0 × 107 m/s in the +x direction collides with a proton traveling 5.0 × 106 m/s in the +y direction. They combine at impact to form a new particle called a “deuteron.” What is the magnitude of the deuteron velocity? Assume for simplicity that the proton and neutron have the same mass.

Homework Equations

a2 + b2 = c2

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think you would just use the pythagorean theorem to solve the problem. When you do that you get 1.1 * 107 The textbook says the answer is 5.6 * 106

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:
I would think you would just use the pythagorean theorem to solve the problem.
You'd use the Pythagorean theorem to add the two momenta. But how would you solve for the new velocity?

But if their mass is the same then the momentum should equal the velocity. In the equation

p = mv

If m = 1, then p should equal v

bobsmith76 said:
But if their mass is the same then the momentum should equal the velocity. In the equation

p = mv

If m = 1, then p should equal v
If the mass of each original particle is '1' unit, what's the mass of the new combined particle?

Thanks, I got it. I really appreciate your help.

1. How do I calculate the vector velocity in a nuclear reaction?

To calculate the vector velocity in a nuclear reaction, you will need to use the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time it took to travel that distance.

2. What is the difference between scalar and vector velocity?

Scalar velocity only has magnitude, while vector velocity has both magnitude and direction. In a nuclear reaction, vector velocity takes into account the direction of the particles involved in the reaction.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate vector velocity for all nuclear reactions?

Yes, the formula v = d/t can be used to calculate vector velocity for all nuclear reactions. However, the specific values for distance and time may vary depending on the specific reaction being studied.

4. How does vector velocity impact the outcome of a nuclear reaction?

Vector velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a nuclear reaction. The direction and speed of particles involved in the reaction can affect the energy released and the type of products formed.

5. Are there any other factors besides vector velocity that can affect a nuclear reaction?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact a nuclear reaction, such as temperature, pressure, and the type of particles involved. These factors can influence the speed and direction of particles, which in turn can affect the vector velocity and the overall outcome of the reaction.