Calculating Water Wheel Velocity - Mass Flowrate & RPM

• Thread starter gwdonovan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the formula for calculating water wheel velocity is V = (π x D x RPM)/60, where V is the velocity in meters per second, D is the diameter of the water wheel in meters, and RPM is the revolutions per minute of the water wheel. The mass flowrate of a water wheel can be calculated using the formula m = ρ x V x A, where m is the mass flowrate in kilograms per second, ρ is the density of water in kilograms per cubic meter, V is the velocity of the water in meters per second, and A is the cross-sectional area of the water wheel in square meters. Both the velocity and mass flowrate of a water wheel can be calculated simultaneously by using the formula
gwdonovan
Hey,
I am wondering if anyone can help me. I need to calculate the velocity of water exiting a water wheel. I have the mass flowrate(450kg/s) and the RPM (11.6 rev/min)
I need to calculate the velocity exiting.
Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
for reaching out for help! To calculate the velocity of water exiting the water wheel, we can use the equation V = Q/m, where V is the velocity, Q is the mass flowrate, and m is the mass of the water. In this case, we can plug in the given values to get V = (450kg/s)/(450kg) = 1 m/s. This means that the water exiting the water wheel will have a velocity of 1 meter per second. It's important to note that this is an ideal calculation and the actual velocity may be slightly different due to factors such as friction and turbulence.

1. What is the formula for calculating water wheel velocity?

The formula for calculating water wheel velocity is V = (π x D x RPM)/60, where V is the velocity in meters per second, D is the diameter of the water wheel in meters, and RPM is the revolutions per minute of the water wheel.

2. How do you calculate the mass flowrate of a water wheel?

The mass flowrate of a water wheel can be calculated using the formula m = ρ x V x A, where m is the mass flowrate in kilograms per second, ρ is the density of water in kilograms per cubic meter, V is the velocity of the water in meters per second, and A is the cross-sectional area of the water wheel in square meters.

3. Can the velocity and mass flowrate of a water wheel be calculated simultaneously?

Yes, both the velocity and mass flowrate of a water wheel can be calculated simultaneously by using the formula m = ρ x V x A and V = (π x D x RPM)/60 together. This will give you the mass flowrate and velocity at the same time.

4. How does the diameter of the water wheel affect its velocity?

The diameter of the water wheel directly affects its velocity. The larger the diameter, the faster the velocity will be, assuming all other factors such as RPM and mass flowrate remain constant. This is because a larger diameter means a larger circumference, resulting in a longer distance traveled per revolution and therefore a higher velocity.

5. What can cause variations in the RPM of a water wheel?

There are several factors that can cause variations in the RPM of a water wheel, such as changes in the water flow rate, changes in the load on the water wheel, and changes in the efficiency of the water wheel. Additionally, external factors such as weather conditions and obstructions in the water flow can also affect the RPM of a water wheel.