1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating viscosity

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A shearing force of 100 dynes is applied to the side of a rectangular plate of 5 x 10 cm dimensions placed on top of a 0.5 mm high column of Newtonian fluid that is initially at rest. As a result of the shearing force, the plate moves at a speed of 11.2 cm/sec. What is the viscosity of this Newtonian fluid? (5 pts)
    PS: Can you guess what this fluid is?

2. Relevant equations

Viscosity = (Force/Area)/(Velocity/Length)

3. The attempt at a solution

Force = 100 dynes
    Area= 50 cm^2
    Velocity= 11.2 cm/sec
    Length= .05 cm

Viscosity = (100/50)/(11.2/.05)
    =(2)/(224)
    =.00893 Poise
    =.0000983 CeniPoise

Can someone double check my work and see if Im on the right track? Im positive I have the right inputs and the right equation, but I have a feeling Im messing up on the units because the answer seems way too low. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2
    I think you moved your decimal place the wrong way when you converted to cP.

4. Sep 10, 2007 #3
    Yes, yes I did. So then the viscosity would be .893, so would that make the Newtonian fluid be water? Water is at 1 Centipose and thats the closest thing to my answer. Thanks for the look out Nick :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?