Calculating Viscosity of Newtonian Fluid

• Thread starter physics_forums
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Viscosity
In summary, the viscosity of the Newtonian fluid in this scenario is 0.00893 Poise or 0.893 Centipoise. Based on the given data, it is likely that the fluid is water, as it has a viscosity of 1 Centipoise.
physics_forums

Homework Statement

A shearing force of 100 dynes is applied to the side of a rectangular plate of 5 x 10 cm dimensions placed on top of a 0.5 mm high column of Newtonian fluid that is initially at rest. As a result of the shearing force, the plate moves at a speed of 11.2 cm/sec. What is the viscosity of this Newtonian fluid? (5 pts)
PS: Can you guess what this fluid is?

Homework Equations

Viscosity = (Force/Area)/(Velocity/Length)

The Attempt at a Solution

Force = 100 dynes
Area= 50 cm^2
Velocity= 11.2 cm/sec
Length= .05 cm

Viscosity = (100/50)/(11.2/.05)
=(2)/(224)
=.00893 Poise
=.0000983 CeniPoise

Can someone double check my work and see if I am on the right track? I am positive I have the right inputs and the right equation, but I have a feeling I am messing up on the units because the answer seems way too low. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you moved your decimal place the wrong way when you converted to cP.

Yes, yes I did. So then the viscosity would be .893, so would that make the Newtonian fluid be water? Water is at 1 Centipose and that's the closest thing to my answer. Thanks for the look out Nick :smile:

1. What is a Newtonian fluid?

A Newtonian fluid is a type of fluid in which the rate of deformation (or shear rate) is directly proportional to the shear stress. This means that as the fluid is sheared or deformed, it will flow at a constant rate, regardless of the amount of force applied.

2. How is viscosity defined for Newtonian fluids?

Viscosity is defined as the resistance of a fluid to flow. For Newtonian fluids, it is measured as the ratio of shear stress to shear rate.

3. How do you calculate the viscosity of a Newtonian fluid?

The viscosity of a Newtonian fluid can be calculated by dividing the applied shear stress by the shear rate. This can be done using a viscometer or rheometer, which measures the force and rate of deformation of the fluid.

4. What factors can affect the viscosity of a Newtonian fluid?

The viscosity of a Newtonian fluid can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or additives. Higher temperatures typically decrease viscosity, while higher pressures can increase it. Impurities or additives can also alter the flow properties of the fluid.

5. How is the viscosity of a Newtonian fluid used in practical applications?

The viscosity of a Newtonian fluid is an important property in various industries, including food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and oil and gas. It is used to determine the flow behavior of fluids in pipes and equipment, as well as in the development of products such as paints, lotions, and medications.