Calculating Viscosity of Golden Syrup through Terminal Velocity Experiment

• Thread starter samb53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Viscosity
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment to determine the viscosity of golden syrup by dropping different sized steel balls and recording the time it takes for them to reach terminal velocity. The individual plans to plot radius squared and terminal velocity on a graph and use the equation y=mx to calculate eta. They are unsure of the correct placement of variables on the graph and the final equation.
samb53

Homework Statement

I'm going to be doing an experiment to determine the viscosity of golden syrup by dropping different size steel ball bearings into a jar of golden syrup and recording how long it takes for them to travel a certain distance when there at terminal velocity.

so from the formula I'm trying to calculate eta, but I must do this by plotting a graph and then calculating eta from the gradient

Homework Equations

258ovae.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm going to have to plot radius^2 on one axis and Vterm on the other axis but I'm not sure which goes which. and then I'm going to make the equation in the same format of y=mx but I'm not sure again how

Physics news on Phys.org
is this correct vterm on y-axis and r^2 on x-axis and then the equation of the line would equal = (vterm=2g(ps-pg))/9eta *r2 +0 and then from this

eta = 2g(ps-pg) / 9*gradient ?

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is a property of fluids that determines how easily they can be poured or how well they can flow.

2. How is viscosity calculated?

Viscosity is typically calculated by measuring the time it takes for a fluid to flow through a capillary tube under the influence of gravity. The longer it takes for the fluid to flow, the higher its viscosity.

3. What factors affect viscosity?

Viscosity is affected by temperature, pressure, and the composition of the fluid. For example, higher temperatures can decrease viscosity while higher pressures can increase it. Additionally, thicker or more complex fluids tend to have higher viscosities.

4. What units are used to measure viscosity?

The most commonly used unit for viscosity is the poise (P), named after French physicist Jean Louis Marie Poiseuille. However, in many scientific fields, the SI unit of viscosity, the pascal-second (Pa·s), is used.

5. Why is viscosity an important property to measure?

Viscosity is an important property to measure because it can provide information about the behavior and characteristics of a fluid. It is used in various industries, such as food and beverage, oil and gas, and pharmaceuticals, to ensure quality control and to optimize production processes.