Calculating Voltage Drop in a 6V Circuit with 18 Gauge Copper Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses a student preparing for college and studying in advance for electricity. They are currently stuck on a question involving a 6V source, a 100 ohm resistor, and two 12 ft lengths of 18 gauge copper wire. The student has already figured out the current (60 mA) but is seeking help with finding the resistor voltage drop and voltage drop across each length of wire. The solution involves using a voltage divider and considering the total resistance of all three components in the circuit.
Infamous_01
Im going to college first year in sept for Mechtronics and I am reading in advance for electricity which i know is guna give me problems.

Right now I am stuck on this question. Dont tell me the answer but rather how if find it.

27) A 6V source is connected to a 100 ohm resistor by two 12 ft lengths of 18 gauge copper wire. The total resistance is the resistance of both wires added to the 100 ohm resistor. Determine the following:

a) Current
b) Resistor Voltage Drop
c) Voltage drop across each length of wire

For reference, resistance (ohm/1000ft at 20 degrees) for 18 AWG copper wire is 6.385 and area is 1624.3cm

I figured out a. by dividing Voltage (6v) by Total resistance including the wires (100.094 ohms) and got the answer 60 mA.

Any help with b and c is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
For b and c you need to look into voltage dividers. What you have is three resistors in series. The voltage drop across all of them is 6V. Now you need to find the drops across each. Your total should be 6V. Here's a good reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider"

Last edited by a moderator:

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, it is important to understand the concept of voltage drop. Voltage drop is the decrease in voltage that occurs as electricity flows through a circuit due to the resistance in the wires and components. In this case, the 18 gauge copper wire will have a certain resistance, which will cause a voltage drop as the current flows through it.

To calculate the voltage drop in the wire, you will need to use Ohm's law, which states that V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. In this case, you already know the voltage (6V) and the current (60mA), so you can rearrange the equation to solve for resistance. This will give you the resistance of the wire.

Once you have the resistance of the wire, you can use Ohm's law again to calculate the voltage drop across each length of wire. Remember that the total resistance is the sum of the resistance of both wires and the 100 ohm resistor. So, you will need to divide the total resistance by 2 to get the resistance of each wire. Then, use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage drop across each wire.

For part b, you will need to calculate the voltage drop across the 100 ohm resistor. This can be done using Ohm's law as well.

I hope this helps guide you in solving this problem. Remember to always use the appropriate units (ohms, volts, amps) and to double check your calculations. Practice makes perfect, so keep working on problems like this to improve your understanding of electricity. Good luck in your studies!

1. How do I calculate voltage drop?

To calculate voltage drop, you will need to use the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage drop, I is the current, and R is the resistance. You can also use online calculators or consult a voltage drop chart.

2. What is the acceptable percentage of voltage drop?

The acceptable percentage of voltage drop varies, but it is generally recommended to keep it below 3% for optimal performance. Some industries may have stricter regulations, so it is important to check local codes and standards.

3. What factors affect voltage drop?

Voltage drop can be affected by various factors such as the length and gauge of the wire, the type of material used for the wire, the temperature, and the load being placed on the circuit. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating voltage drop.

4. How do I reduce voltage drop?

To reduce voltage drop, you can use thicker wires with lower resistance, minimize the length of the wire, and avoid using materials with high resistivity. You can also use voltage regulators or increase the power supply to compensate for voltage drop.

5. Why is voltage drop important to consider?

Voltage drop is important to consider because it can affect the performance and efficiency of electrical circuits. Excessive voltage drop can result in loss of power, overheating of wires, and potential damage to equipment. It is essential to calculate and reduce voltage drop to ensure safe and reliable operation of electrical systems.