1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating volume easy question

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    My work is in the paint doc... my only question is... why is the radi 1-x and not 1+x?

My reason for why I think it is 1 - x is in the paint doc, please let me know why I am wrong.. thank you.

Attached Files:

• VOL.jpg
      VOL.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

Mark44

Insights Author

Staff: Mentor

Your image is too faint for me to read.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    Try this image.

Attached Files:

• VOL.jpg
      VOL.jpg
      File size:
      18.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Feb 23, 2012 #4

Mark44

Insights Author

Much better - thanks!

The horizontal distance from a point (x, y) on your exponential curve to the line x = 1 is 1 - x. For most of the interval [-1, 0], the x values are negative, so this distance will generally be larger than 1, but less than 2.

Also, the point is labelled incorrectly. It should be (x, f(x)), not (-x, f(-x)).

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5
    it should be (x,f(x)) even though its in the 2nd quad? is this general for all quad that x and f(x) be positive when labeling an arbitrary coordinate ?

7. Feb 23, 2012 #6

Mark44

Insights Author

Yes.
    You are assuming that x is always positive and -x is always negative - no, this isn't true. You can't tell the sign of a variable by whether it has a + or - in front of it. For example, -b could be positive or negative, depending on the value of b. Similarly, +c could be positive or negative, depending on the value of c. Note that we don't normally write +c, but I'm just trying to make a point.

Think about the x-axis. If x is a number to the left of zero, it's negative. We DO NOT write this as -x.

8. Feb 23, 2012 #7
    Thank you so much that really helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?