Calculating volume of plasma per watt, based on ionization energy

In summary, as a mechatronical engineer, the conversation revolved around calculating the maximum volume of helium gas that can be ionized into plasma using a power of 1 watt, voltage of 1000 volts, and current of 0.1mA. Data such as the ionization energy, molar mass, and density of helium were used to determine the necessary volume of a gas container. It was also noted that other gases with lower ionization energies, such as neon, xenon, and krypton, can have larger containers and require less power to ionize.
CognitiveNet
This is not homework, but I'm developing a new machine and doing my own research as a mechatronical engineer.

I'm trying to calculate the maximum volume of Helium gas that can be ionized into plasma if I apply a power of 1 watt, where the voltage is 1000 volt and the current is 0,1mA.

DATA 1: The ionization energy for Helium is 2372,3KJ/mol
DATA 2: Molar mass = 4,002602 g/mole
DATA 3: Density = 0,1786 g/L

I multiply the inverse ionization energy (in mole) with the ionization energy (in Joule/mole)
(1/2372,3*10^3)mole * 2372,3*10^3 J/mole = 1 Joule

1 Watt = 1 Joule per second

I multiply the inverse of the ionization energy (in mole) with the molar mass of Helium.
(1/2372,3*10^3 mole) * 4,002602 g/mole = 1,687224213*10^-6 gram

I multiply the mass (in grams) with the density to find the volume:
(1,687224213*10^-6) g / 0,1786 g/L = 9,446944082*10^-6 L = 9,446944082 mm^3

I take the third/cubic root of the volume to find the lengths of the gas container in [x,y,z]
3sqrt(9,446944082) = 2,11mm

So in order to ionize 1,68 micrograms of Helium in a 2,11x2,11x2,11 mm tank, you'll need to supply a current of 0,1mA through 1000 volt.

Is this correct?

For example, USB plasma globes uses neon, xenon and krypton which have lower ionization energies, thus the volume is allowed to be larger. One USB plasma globe was the size of my hand and ran on 5 Volt and 300mA (or 1,5 Watt).

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is correct. The ionization energies for neon, xenon and krypton are lower than those for helium, so the volume of the container can be larger in order to ionize the same amount of gas. Additionally, the USB plasma globe you mentioned runs on 5V and 300mA (or 1.5W), which are lower than the 1000V and 0.1mA necessary to ionize the same amount of helium gas.

1. How is volume of plasma per watt calculated?

The volume of plasma per watt is calculated by dividing the ionization energy (in joules) by the power (in watts) of the plasma. This calculation yields the volume of plasma (in cubic meters) that can be produced per watt of power.

2. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy needed to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, thereby creating a positively charged ion. It is typically measured in joules per mole (J/mol) or electron volts (eV).

3. Why is calculating volume of plasma per watt important?

Calculating the volume of plasma per watt is important because it helps scientists determine the efficiency of plasma-based technologies. By knowing how much plasma can be produced per watt of power, researchers can optimize the design and operation of plasma devices for various applications.

4. How does ionization energy affect volume of plasma?

Ionization energy directly affects the volume of plasma that can be produced per watt. The higher the ionization energy, the more energy is required to create plasma, resulting in a smaller volume of plasma per watt. Conversely, lower ionization energy leads to a larger volume of plasma per watt.

5. Can volume of plasma per watt be manipulated?

Yes, the volume of plasma per watt can be manipulated by changing the ionization energy. For example, using a gas with a lower ionization energy or increasing the power input can result in a larger volume of plasma per watt. However, this also depends on other factors such as plasma confinement and temperature, which can also impact the volume of plasma per watt.