1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating volume

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    Hi, im having a little trouble with this question, im trying to find the volume of the solid after revolving it.

y=sec x, y=1, x=-1, x=1, about the x-axis

what I did:

[tex]A(x)= \frac{ \pi}{(cosx)^2}[/tex]

and then I integrated from -1 to 1...(my integral came out to [tex]\frac{-1}{sinx}[/tex])
    and I got an answer that came out negative..

can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Have you made a sketch of the problem?

Don't forget that you're only considering the area between y = sec(x) and y = 1!

4. Jun 1, 2006 #3
    ohhhhhh..yeah i think i read the question wrong..il try again

5. Jun 1, 2006 #4

TD

Homework Helper

Ok, a sketch will really help. Also, (tan(x))' = sec²(x), in case you had forgotten :smile:

6. Jun 1, 2006 #5
    ok..i tried it again..but im still getting it wrong..

heres what i have:

[tex]A(x)=\pi(1-(secx)^2)[/tex]

and then i integrated from -1 to 1 and then i ended up with somethign around 14

7. Jun 1, 2006 #6

TD

Homework Helper

Why 1-sec²x ?

8. Jun 1, 2006 #7
    im not really sure how to do this one..dont you do this..A=pi(outer radius)^2 - pi(inner radius)^2..i think its called the washer method

9. Jun 1, 2006 #8

TD

Homework Helper

Yes, but on [-1,1], which one is the 'outer radius'? I believe sec(x) >= 1 there...

Remember that sec(x) = 1/cos(x) and cos(x) is bounded between [-1,1]. So without looking at the sign, in absolute value, |sec(x)| will never be smaller than 1.

10. Jun 1, 2006 #9
    yeah..that makes sense..i just looked at my sketch..I drew it wrong

11. Jun 1, 2006 #10
    i got something around 3.5...sounds better

12. Jun 1, 2006 #11

TD

Homework Helper

I'm getting the same :smile:

[tex]
    \pi \int\limits_{ - 1}^1 {\sec ^2 x - 1dx} = 2\pi \left( {\tan 1 - 1} \right) \approx 3.5
    [/tex]

A good sketch will lead you to the answer :wink:

13. Jun 1, 2006 #12
    ok, thanks, IM having trouble with another one..Im having rouble seting it up. y=x and y=0, x=2, x=4 about x=1

I drew the two lines..its a pretty simple graph but what does it mean to revolve it around x=1?and do i still have to do the outer radius-inner radius?

14. Jun 1, 2006 #13

TD

Homework Helper

The formula for the volume of a solid of revolution, rotated about the x-axis was:

[tex]
    \pi \int\limits_a^b {y^2 dx}
    [/tex]

Here, y = f(x). By using inner/outer radii and substracting, you could use this formula as well when the rotation axis was parallel to the x-axis.
    Now, for revolving about the y-axis, or a line parallel to that such as x = 1, the formula logically becomes:

[tex]
    \pi \int\limits_a^b {x^2 dy}
    [/tex]

And here, x = f(y).

In your problem, I think you'll have to split it in two integrals.

15. Jun 1, 2006 #14
    hrmm..still confused..im never split it into two before

16. Jun 1, 2006 #15

TD

Homework Helper

Well, your 'outer radius' will be x = 4 all the time. But the inner radius will change. Between y = 0 and y = 2, the inner radius is x = 2. But from y = 2 till y = 4, the inner radius will be y = x. If you have a good sketch, you should be able to see this :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?