Calculating Volume: Solving for y=sec x, -1≤x≤1

• Thread starter suspenc3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid after revolving it about the x-axis. The formula for calculating this volume is discussed, as well as the importance of a good sketch for visualizing the problem. The conversation also touches on the concept of using inner and outer radii for calculating the volume of a solid of revolution. Finally, the conversation turns to a new problem involving revolving a region about the line x=1 and the formula for calculating the volume in this scenario.
suspenc3
Hi, I am having a little trouble with this question, I am trying to find the volume of the solid after revolving it.

y=sec x, y=1, x=-1, x=1, about the x-axis

what I did:

[tex]A(x)= \frac{ \pi}{(cosx)^2}[/tex]

and then I integrated from -1 to 1...(my integral came out to [tex]\frac{-1}{sinx}[/tex])
and I got an answer that came out negative..

can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you made a sketch of the problem?

Don't forget that you're only considering the area between y = sec(x) and y = 1!

ohhhhhh..yeah i think i read the question wrong..il try again

Ok, a sketch will really help. Also, (tan(x))' = sec²(x), in case you had forgotten :smile:

ok..i tried it again..but I am still getting it wrong..

heres what i have:

[tex]A(x)=\pi(1-(secx)^2)[/tex]

and then i integrated from -1 to 1 and then i ended up with somethign around 14

Why 1-sec²x ?

im not really sure how to do this one..dont you do this..A=pi(outer radius)^2 - pi(inner radius)^2..i think its called the washer method

Yes, but on [-1,1], which one is the 'outer radius'? I believe sec(x) >= 1 there...

Remember that sec(x) = 1/cos(x) and cos(x) is bounded between [-1,1]. So without looking at the sign, in absolute value, |sec(x)| will never be smaller than 1.

yeah..that makes sense..i just looked at my sketch..I drew it wrong

i got something around 3.5...sounds better

I'm getting the same :smile:

[tex]
\pi \int\limits_{ - 1}^1 {\sec ^2 x - 1dx} = 2\pi \left( {\tan 1 - 1} \right) \approx 3.5
[/tex]

A good sketch will lead you to the answer :wink:

ok, thanks, IM having trouble with another one..Im having rouble seting it up. y=x and y=0, x=2, x=4 about x=1

I drew the two lines..its a pretty simple graph but what does it mean to revolve it around x=1?and do i still have to do the outer radius-inner radius?

The formula for the volume of a solid of revolution, rotated about the x-axis was:

[tex]
\pi \int\limits_a^b {y^2 dx}
[/tex]

Here, y = f(x). By using inner/outer radii and substracting, you could use this formula as well when the rotation axis was parallel to the x-axis.
Now, for revolving about the y-axis, or a line parallel to that such as x = 1, the formula logically becomes:

[tex]
\pi \int\limits_a^b {x^2 dy}
[/tex]

And here, x = f(y).

In your problem, I think you'll have to split it in two integrals.

hrmm..still confused..im never split it into two before

Well, your 'outer radius' will be x = 4 all the time. But the inner radius will change. Between y = 0 and y = 2, the inner radius is x = 2. But from y = 2 till y = 4, the inner radius will be y = x. If you have a good sketch, you should be able to see this :smile:

1. How do I solve for y in the equation y=sec x?

To solve for y in this equation, you will need to use the inverse of the secant function, which is the cosine function. This means that you will need to take the inverse cosine of both sides of the equation.

2. What is the domain of the function y=sec x?

The domain of the function y=sec x is all real numbers except for values where the cosine function is equal to zero. In this case, the domain is restricted to -1≤x≤1. This is because the secant function is undefined at these points.

3. How do I graph the function y=sec x?

To graph the function y=sec x, you can plot points on the coordinate plane by plugging in different values of x within the domain of -1≤x≤1 and solving for the corresponding y values. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the function.

4. Can the function y=sec x have a vertical asymptote?

Yes, the function y=sec x has vertical asymptotes at x=1 and x=-1. This is because the cosine function has zeros at these points, which causes the secant function to be undefined.

5. How can I use the function y=sec x to calculate volume?

The function y=sec x can be used to calculate volume when it is integrated in a specific way. You will need to use the formula for calculating the volume of a solid of revolution, which involves taking the integral of the function squared over the given interval. This will give you the volume of the solid formed by rotating the curve y=sec x around the x-axis.