Calculating Volumes: Proving Cylindrical Shell Disks

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volumes
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding proofs on the internet for how cylindrical shells and disks work. The person is searching for an actual proof, rather than just formulas and explanations. They mention that a rigorous mathematical definition of volume is needed for a proper proof, but it may not be necessary at a calculus level.
Miike012
I am trying to find proofs on the internet of how cylindrical shells disks work but I can't find any. Are there any proofs out there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I typed in cylindrical shells proof and proof of cylindrical shells...

I would like an actual proof of how it works...
Most of the websites just give formulas and explain how to calculate the volume but that's not a proof.

Well, that is a little bit of a problem. You can find proofs that, say the method of cylindrical shells and the method of disks give you the same answer. To PROVE that that is volume you'll need a rigorous mathematical definition of volume. What is it? I'm not sure it would be useful to you at a calculus level.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylindrical shell?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylindrical shell is V = 2πrh, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How is calculating the volume of a cylindrical shell different from calculating the volume of a solid cylinder?

Calculating the volume of a cylindrical shell involves finding the volume of the space between two cylinders, while calculating the volume of a solid cylinder involves finding the volume of the entire cylinder.

3. What is the purpose of proving cylindrical shell disks?

The purpose of proving cylindrical shell disks is to show the relationship between the volume of a solid cylinder and the volume of a cylindrical shell and to provide a method for calculating the volume of a cylindrical shell.

4. Can the formula for calculating the volume of a cylindrical shell be applied to other shapes?

No, the formula for calculating the volume of a cylindrical shell is specific to cylindrical shapes. Other shapes have their own formulas for calculating volume.

5. How can cylindrical shell disks be used in real-life applications?

Cylindrical shell disks can be used in real-life applications such as calculating the volume of pipes, tubes, and other cylindrical objects. They can also be used in engineering and construction projects that involve cylindrical structures.