Calculating Vrms of a neutron

• Thread starter johns123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutron
In summary, the equation for calculating the average velocity of a gas molecule in a closed container is Vrms = (3 x k x T / m)^1/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and m is the mass per ion in kg. To calculate the mass of an ion, the atomic mass M must be divided by Avogadro's number Na. The problem specifies the calculation of Vrms for a neutron in a reactor at 400K, but the correct m value to use is 1.0 x 10^-3 kg/mole, not 1.675 x 10^-27 kg as found online. This is because a mole of
johns123

Homework Statement

The equation for the "average" velocity of a gas molecule
in a closed container is:

Vrms = ( 3 x k x T / m )^ 1/2 where

k = 1.38 x 10 ^ 23 Joules/K

T is temp in Kelvin

m = mass per ion in kg = Atomic Mass M / Avagadro's Number Na

so for N2, I can calculate m = (28 grams/mole) / 6.02 x 10^23 ions/mole

and get m = 4.65 x 10^-23 grams/ ION , which I change to 4.65 x 10^-26 kg/ION

Homework Equations

Vrms = ( 3kT/m)^1/2

I read the 28 grams/mole from the Atomic Table. ( 14 + 14 for N2 ).

And I realize that m must be in kg because of the units of k.

The Attempt at a Solution

( trying to edit out some errors here )

Now, I'm given the problem of calculating Vrms of a neutron
in the core of a reactor at 400K. I looked up the mass of
the neutron on-line and got 1.675 x 10^-27 kg .. OK, fine!

But I can't use that for Atomic Mass M. Instead the proper M = 1.0 x 10^-3 kg/mole

And the lab book uses the formual Vrms = ( 3k Na T )/ M )^1/2 where

m = M / Na .. atomic weight / Avagadro's number

This must be an elementary question, but why is M = 10^-3 kg/mole
for the neutron ? .. as used in the book ? What is a mole
of neutrons ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
johns123 said:
Now, I'm given the problem of calculating Vrms of a neutron
in the core of a reactor at 400K. I looked up the mass of
the neutron on-line and got 1.675 x 10^-27 kg .. OK, fine!

But I can't use that for m. Instead the proper m = 1.0 x 10^-3 kg/mole

This must be an elementary question, but why is m = 10^-3 kg/mole
for the neutron ? .. as used in the book ? What is a mole
of neutrons ??

A mole of anything is Avogadro's number ##N_\mathrm{A} = 6.022141 \times 10^{23}## units of that thing. Therefore, 1 mole of neutrons is ##6.022141 \times 10^{23}## neutrons. I'll let you figure out the mass of that :smile:

Reading more carefully, I don't understand why you need to know the molar mass of neutrons. Your units are not consistent, as in
so for N2, I can calculate m = (28 grams/mole) / 6.02 x 10^23 ions/mole

and get m = 4.65 x 10^-23 grams/ mole , which I change to 4.65 x 10^-26 kg/mole
m should be in units of mass, kg, not in kg/mol.

I just reedited the problem above. Hope the errors are gone!

My mistake. I meant m = 4.65 x 10^-23 grams/ion which I have to change to kg/ion. Also, I'm reading online at Yahoo that the problem should have specified a gas like Li where I could calculate Kg/mole of Li; go to kg/ion of Li, and then realize that Li has a few neutrons per atom .. and THAT would give kg/mole of neutrons which I could reduce to m = M/Na for that number of neutrons in 1 mole of Li.. That is really chasing me in circles trying to completely understand it.. And the problems coming after are the same, but for electrons and protons. I think I better get a grasp on the neutrons first. Thanks

Last edited:

I understand your confusion about the value of M for a neutron. The reason for this discrepancy is due to the fact that the concept of a "mole" is not applicable to individual particles like neutrons. The mole is a unit used to quantify the amount of a substance, typically in terms of the number of particles. For example, one mole of a substance contains Avogadro's number (6.02 x 10^23) of particles. However, since a neutron is an individual particle, it does not make sense to talk about a mole of neutrons.

In this case, the value of M that is used in the equation is the atomic mass of the neutron, which is 1.0 x 10^-3 kg/mole. This value is used to convert the temperature (in Kelvin) to a unit that is appropriate for the calculation of Vrms. This is because the units for k (Joules/K) and T (Kelvin) must match in order for the equation to be valid.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the use of M in the equation. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. How is Vrms of a neutron calculated?

The Vrms (root-mean-square velocity) of a neutron is calculated by taking the square root of the average squared velocity of the neutron particles in a given system.

2. What is the formula for calculating Vrms of a neutron?

The formula for calculating Vrms of a neutron is Vrms = √(3kT/m), where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and m is the mass of the neutron.

3. What is the significance of calculating Vrms of a neutron?

Calculating Vrms of a neutron is important in understanding the behavior and properties of neutron particles in a system, such as in nuclear reactions or in neutron scattering experiments. It also helps in determining the amount of energy carried by the neutron particles.

4. How is temperature related to Vrms of a neutron?

The Vrms of a neutron is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the Vrms of the neutron particles also increases.

5. Can Vrms of a neutron be affected by external factors?

Yes, Vrms of a neutron can be affected by external factors such as the presence of other particles, magnetic fields, and interactions with other particles. These external factors can alter the average squared velocity of the neutron particles and therefore affect the Vrms value.