1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating when a covector is zero.

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hopefully an easy question. Let M be an n-dimensional smooth manifold and [itex] f: M \to \mathbb R [/itex] a smooth function. Assume the covector field df is given in some coordinate basis as
    [tex] df = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i dx^i [/tex].
    Find all points [itex] p \in M [/itex] such that the [itex] df_p = 0 [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm pretty sure all that needs to be done is find all point [itex] p \in M [/itex] such that [itex] a_i(p) = 0 [/itex] for all i=1,..n. However, I just want to make sure nothing tricky is going on here that I'm missing. My reasoning is that if there is an [itex] a_i(p) \neq 0 [/itex] then
    [tex] a_i(p) dx^i \left(\left. \frac{\partial }{\partial x^i}\right|_p \right) = a^i(p) \neq 0 [/tex]

Are there other tricky cases that I might not be seeing? I can imagine that for fixed vector fields there are points where the differential could yield zero, but I take the statement [itex] df_p = 0 [/itex] to mean that the 1-form is identically the zero map at that point.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?