1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculating where X converges

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine values for x where [tex]\sum \frac{(2^k)(x^k)}{ln(k + 2)}[/tex] converges if k goes from 0 to infinity.

2. Relevant equations

Limit test and alternating series test.

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the limit comparison test to test out ak+1 and an and I ended up getting [tex](-1/2) \le x \le (1/2)[/tex]

Then I had to compare the endpoints. I noticed that the numerator is always 1 in the case of x=1/2 or always 1 or -1 (in the case of x = -1/2).

So by the alternating series test, I concluded that BOTH of the endpoints converges. However, my answer key says that x=1/2 diverges while x=-1/2 converges (I'm correct there).

FYI, for x = 1/2,

I said that an+1 < an and that the limit as k -> [tex]\infty[/tex] = 0, so why does it apparently diverge?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm with you at x=(-1/2), but how did you conclude 1/ln(k+2) converges by the alternating series test? It doesn't even alternate.

4. Mar 11, 2010 #3
    Wait so I can't use the alternating series test with a non alternating series ... wow I'm going to kick myself in the @%$@# for overlooking this.

So I assume I just use like a comparison test for 1/ln(k+2) with 1/k (diverges) since ln makes values of k smaller so the frac. gets bigger.

5. Mar 11, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right.

6. Mar 12, 2010 #5
    This is the Ratio Test not the Limit Comparison Test.
    Also, you should write [tex]a_k[/tex] not [tex]a_n[/tex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook