Calculating Work and Mechanical Energy - Block on Ramp

In summary, Homework Statement A block slides down a rough incline in 2.0 seconds. The block loses energy due to friction, and the work done is 47.685 J.
mimib1230

Homework Statement

Starting from rest, a 5.0 kg block slides 2.5 m down a rough 30.0 degree incline in 2.0 seconds. Determine the following:

a. work down by the force of gravity
b. the mechanical energy lost due to friction
c. the work done by the normal force between the block and the incline

Homework Equations

I think Wnet = Fnetd(cos thata) is relevant.
KE = 1/2mv^2
and PEg = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by drawing a force diagram...49.1 N pointing downards and a 30 degree angle drawn in. I know that I need to figure out Forcenet but I'm not sure how. I would attempt more of a solution but I'm honestly just that bad at physics. I've worked all week and I have an exam on Friday, but I'm still clueless. Help is really needed here. I want to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mimib1230. Welcome to PF.

Try starting by spliting the weight of the mass into components. From this you'll have a force down the slope (but which one?) and this will then allow you to substitute the value into an equation (but which one?). See what you make of that. I will not give you anymore as I read that you want to understand. Small hints at a time. :biggrin:

The Bob

Fparallel = Fgsin30 = (49.1 N ) sin 30 = 24.6 N

Ffriction? I don't have the coefficient of friction, so how can I figure out my Fnet?

Because you know the force needed to overcome friction down the slope and also the normal reaction so could work out the coefficient of friction. However, you don't really need this to work it out. As you know the other information in your question you can find the work done by comparing initial and final answers to this problem.

The Bob

A lot of the time, I don't know exactly where to start (at all). My instinct here was to draw a force diagram, figure out friction, do a billion different things to get Forcenet.

But actually I asked my teacher and all I needed was to draw a triangle to figure out the height for part A.

So h= 1.25 from the ground because 2.5sin30 = 1.24 m.

PEgravity = (5.0 kg)(-9.81 m/s/s) (-1.25 m) = 61.31 J

delta x = 1/2 (vi + vf) time
-2.50 m = 1/2 (vf) (2.00 s)
vf = 2.5 m/s

KE = 1/2 (5.0 kg) (-2.5 m/s)2 = 15.625 J

PEgravity - KE = energy lost due to friction
so
61.31 J - 15.625 J = 47.685 J

Is part C simply "no energy?" It is only moving up and down via the path of the incline, not through the air, right?

hello, i have a question kinda like that but different.

it says a football player pushes a box that wieghs 300n up a ramp that is 6 meters long with a force of 150n while the person on the box is 3 meters high. what is the actual work done?

1. What is work and how is it calculated?

Work is the measure of the energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and it moves in the direction of the force. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

2. How does the angle of a ramp affect the work done on an object?

The angle of a ramp affects the work done on an object by changing the force required to move the object up the ramp. The steeper the angle, the greater the force required, resulting in more work being done.

3. What is the difference between work and mechanical energy?

Work is the measure of energy transfer, while mechanical energy is the total energy of an object due to its motion or position. Work contributes to the change in mechanical energy of an object.

4. How does friction impact the work done on an object on a ramp?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion and can reduce the amount of work done on an object on a ramp. This is because some of the force applied is used to overcome friction, resulting in less work being done to move the object up the ramp.

5. Can the work done on an object on a ramp be negative?

Yes, the work done on an object on a ramp can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement. This means that the object is losing energy as it moves down the ramp, resulting in a negative change in mechanical energy.