What is the work done on a crate during its journey?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the work done on a crate during a journey, using the equation WD=F*S. The force pulling the crate is 482.96N and the distance is 20M, resulting in a work of 9659.2J. The original problem also includes a description of using a drag line and electric motor to transport crates in a factory. The user has also calculated the horizontal component, acceleration, speed, kinetic energy, and duration of the journey. The final part of the problem involves finding the work done on the crate during the journey.
joe465

Homework Statement

Calculate the work done on the crate during the journey

Homework Equations

WD=F*S

The Attempt at a Solution

I know its simple but I am just double checking more than anything, the force pulling the crate is 482.96N and the distance is 20M.

Now i would presume 482.96*20= 9659.2J

My book however says that the force is the force we are opposing against so what force would this be?

Thanks, Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please post the full problem exactly as given.

The first of these concerns the transport of crates
across the floor of a factory. This is accomplished by using a drag line connected
to an electric motor. Crates are hooked on to the line and dragged from one
location within the factory to another across a series of rollers.

the original problem was at :https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=521477
On there also has an image of what i mean since it won't let me upload it twice.

I have currently calculated:

horrizontal component acting on the crate
the acceleration experienced by the crate
the speed of the crate at the end of a 20m journey
the kinetic energy of the crate at the end of the journey
the duration of the journey

It now wants the Work done on the crate during the journey

If that's any better, Cheers

joe465 said:
It now wants the Work done on the crate during the journey
You've calculated it correctly.

Thankyou very much for your time and help

1. What is work done?

Work done is a measure of the energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move in the direction of the force.

2. How is work done calculated?

Work done is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F * d, where W is work done, F is force, and d is displacement.

3. What are the units of work done?

The units of work done are joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the English system.

4. How is work done related to power?

Work done and power are related by the equation P = W/t, where P is power, W is work done, and t is time. This equation shows that power is the rate at which work is done.

5. Can negative work be done?

Yes, negative work can be done. This occurs when the force is in the opposite direction of the displacement, resulting in a negative value for work done. This can happen, for example, when an object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the applied force.