Calculating xbar: P(Mu > xbar)=0.025, df=20, Muxbar=39.4, sigmaxbar=28.7

• Thread starter zmike
  • Start date
The value of xbar will be 39.4. In summary, to calculate xbar, you can use the t-distribution formula with the given values of P(Mu > xbar) = 0.025, df = 20, Muxbar = 39.4, and sigmaxbar = 28.7.
zmike

Homework Statement

Calculate the following:xbar
where P(Mu > xbar) = 0.025, df = 20, Muxbar = 39.4, sigmaxbar = 28.7

Homework Equations

t = (xbar - mu)/(s/sqrt n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I can plug muxbar, t =2.086 using my table but I don't know about s.

muxbar is the mean of the samples so do I use the sigmaxbar since it's the SD of the mean of the samples? Is that the same as s?

WHAT IS the difference between muxbar and mu and xbar?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!Muxbar is the mean of the samples, while mu is the population mean and xbar is the sample mean. To calculate xbar, you need to use the t-distribution formula: t = (xbar - mu)/(s/sqrt n) where s is the standard deviation of the sample and n is the number of samples. In this case, s = sigmaxbar, so you can substitute that in the formula and solve for xbar.

What is the formula for calculating xbar?

The formula for calculating xbar is xbar = Muxbar ± t(alpha/2) * (sigmaxbar / √n), where Muxbar is the sample mean, t(alpha/2) is the critical t-value, sigmaxbar is the sample standard deviation, and n is the sample size.

What does P(Mu > xbar) represent?

P(Mu > xbar) represents the probability that the true population mean, Mu, is greater than the sample mean, xbar. In other words, it measures the likelihood of obtaining a sample mean that is greater than the true population mean.

How do you interpret P(Mu > xbar)=0.025?

A P-value of 0.025 means that there is a 2.5% chance of obtaining a sample mean that is greater than the true population mean. In statistical terms, this is considered a low probability, suggesting that the sample mean is significantly different from the population mean.

What is the significance of df=20 in this calculation?

The degrees of freedom (df) in this calculation represent the number of independent pieces of information available for estimating the population mean. In this case, it is 20, which means that the sample comes from a larger population of 20 individuals.

How do you interpret the values of Muxbar and sigmaxbar in this calculation?

Muxbar represents the sample mean, which is the average value of the sample data. Sigmaxbar represents the sample standard deviation, which measures the spread of the data around the sample mean. These values are used in the calculation of xbar to estimate the true population mean.