Need Help with Calculating Mass? Get Expert Assistance Here!

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the mass of a system that is not translating but has normal forces applied at the point of the pivot.
Air

Homework Statement

Find the mass:
FindMass.jpg

Homework Equations

Not Sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start as I believe that there is less information.

All that I have got upto is Tan-1(3/8) but I don't know if this is needed to find the mass? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming the frame is massless, pivoted bout the right angle of the triangle and the system is in equilibrium, am I correct?

Hootenanny said:
I'm assuming the frame is massless, pivoted bout the right angle of the triangle and the system is in equilibrium, am I correct?

Yes, You are correct.

So, we know that since the system is in equilibrium, the sum of the moments about any point should be zero. However, let's consider the forces; if the system is not translating (i.e. moving up or down) what must be the vector sum of the vertical forces?

Hootenanny said:
So, we know that since the system is in equilibrium, the sum of the moments about any point should be zero. However, let's consider the forces; if the system is not translating (i.e. moving up or down) what must be the vector sum of the vertical forces?

Erm...Not sure but guessing zero. :redface:

Sounds good to me :smile: and where will this reation force be applied?

Hootenanny said:
Sounds good to me :smile: and where will this reation force be applied?

Either at the angle at the end of Y or near the mass?

Normal forces are applied at the point where the system pivots. Just checking, is the side x attached to a wall of some kind?

Hootenanny said:
Normal forces are applied at the point where the system pivots. Just checking, is the side x attached to a wall of some kind?

Nope. The pivot is at the corner of x and y.

x and y dimensions are given if to calculate the angle (I think).

Okay, let us consider the torques about the pivot point;

[tex]0.08T\sin\left(\arctan\left(\frac{3}{8}\right)\right) = 0.4mg[/tex]

Where T is the tension in the diagonal member. Do you follow?

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:

Yes, I do. :smile:

Hootenanny said:

Can Tension be calculated without mass? :confused:

You still have not set up the equalibrium of FORCES, only of torques..

Also, for your information,
[tex]\sin(\arctan(x))=\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^{2}}}[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of calculation help in scientific research?

Calculation help is essential in scientific research to ensure accurate and precise results. It aids in performing complex calculations, analyzing data, and verifying the accuracy of experimental outcomes. It also helps in making predictions and drawing conclusions from the data.

2. How can I find the right calculation help for my specific research topic?

The best way to find the right calculation help for your research is to consult with a fellow scientist or a specialized professional in your field. You can also search online for scientific calculators or software that are specifically designed for your research topic. Additionally, many scientific journals and textbooks provide detailed explanations and equations for specific calculations.

3. Can I trust the accuracy of calculation help tools and software?

Most calculation help tools and software are designed and tested by experts in the field to ensure accuracy. However, it is always important to double-check the results and verify them manually to avoid any errors. Additionally, it is crucial to use the correct input values and equations when using these tools for accurate results.

4. How do I handle errors or discrepancies in my calculations?

If you encounter errors or discrepancies in your calculations, it is important to review your data and equations to ensure everything is entered correctly. You can also consult with other scientists or professionals in your field for assistance. If the error persists, it may be necessary to re-run the experiment or use different calculation methods for comparison.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to perform calculations in scientific research?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning how to perform calculations in scientific research. You can consult with fellow scientists, attend workshops or seminars, or enroll in online courses. Additionally, there are numerous textbooks and online tutorials that provide step-by-step instructions for performing various calculations in different fields of science.