Calculate Force in Newtons From 95 lb Weight Falling 1m

• Thread starter Oh the irony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary: Earth's gravitational field. So to convert pounds_force to newtons, multiply by the number of kilograms in a pound, then multiply by the gravitational field strength in meters/second^2.In summary, to convert pounds to Newtons, you would first need to specify whether the unit is pound mass or pound force. If it is pound mass, you would convert it to kilograms. If it is pound force, you would directly convert it to Newtons using the gravitational field strength of 9.81 m/s^2. Additionally, the unit of mass in the US is called 'slugs', but it is rarely used and can be converted to kilograms as well
Oh the irony
Alright, well.
How do I get mass out of pounds?
I need to figure out what the force is in Newtons on someone when they fall 1 meter.

The person weighs 95 pounds.

Do I need to convert it to kilograms then divide that by the gravitational constant of 9.81 m/s?

or can I just do 95/9.81?

1/1 = 1m/s^2

0 ~ 1 / 1s = 1m/s^2

9.7 x 1 = 9.7

F = 9.7

First I did speed, which was 1/1 (1 meter for 1 second) = 1m/s^2

Then I did acceleration, and then M x A = 9.7

Is it correct?

NOTE: This is not homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pounds are units of force, like Newtons, so you'd convert them to Newtons first, then divide by the 9.81 [m/s^2]. Converting pounds to kilograms would be as meaningless as converting Newtons to kilograms.

The unit of mass in the US is called 'slugs'. I've never seen them used before personally. But you could convert slugs to kilograms.

Pythagorean said:
Pounds are units of force, like Newtons, so you'd convert them to Newtons first, then divide by the 9.81 [m/s^2]. Converting pounds to kilograms would be as meaningless as converting Newtons to kilograms.

The unit of mass in the US is called 'slugs'. I've never seen them used before personally. But you could convert slugs to kilograms.

How do I convert them to Newtons? I did

95/ 9.81 = 9.7

so isn't the force 9.7 Newtons? or how do i get Newtons?

Oh the irony said:
How do I convert them to Newtons? I did

95/ 9.81 = 9.7

so isn't the force 9.7 Newtons? or how do i get Newtons?

The equation is:

F = ma
(force) = (mass)*(acceleration)

some examples of this in both systems:

Newtons = (grams) * (meters/second^2)

or:

pounds = (slugs)*(miles/hour^2)

In this case, the acceleration a is g, so a = g.

So F = mg, therefore, the force is your value before dividing by g. So, as I said, convert the force from pounds to Newtons, then divide by gravity.

You can easily do this conversion by typing "x pounds in Newtons" into google

lol I'm not really understanding, its only possible for me to learn if someone does the whole calculation and I can actually see it.

Can you do it for me?

The object is falling for 1 second and went 1 meter in that 1 second.

I want to know the force that it hits the ground.

can you show all the math please?

The normal unit of mass in english units is a slug, but it's common to specify "pound mass" as opposed to "pound force". The weight of a person is commonly expressed in pounds (force) or in kilograms (mass), without causing confusion. To answer your question:

1 pound_mass = 0.45359237 kilograms

1. What is the equation for calculating force in Newtons from weight and distance?

The equation for calculating force in Newtons is F = m x a, where F represents force in Newtons, m represents mass in kilograms, and a represents acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How do I convert pounds to kilograms?

To convert pounds to kilograms, divide the weight in pounds by 2.2046. In this case, 95 pounds would be equal to approximately 43.09 kilograms.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth?

The acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. However, this can vary slightly depending on location and elevation.

4. How do I calculate the acceleration of an object falling from a certain height?

The acceleration of an object falling from a certain height can be calculated using the equation a = (v^2 - u^2) / 2s, where v is the final velocity (usually 0 m/s), u is the initial velocity (also usually 0 m/s), and s is the distance fallen (in meters).

5. Is there a difference between weight and mass when calculating force in Newtons?

Yes, there is a difference between weight and mass when calculating force in Newtons. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. However, in this case, since the weight is given in pounds, it must be converted to mass in kilograms before using the equation F = m x a.