Calculate Magnet Strength for Lifting 75 kg Iron in 1 Second - Morten

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the strength of a magnet needed to lift a mass of 75 kg iron 1 meter straight up in 1 second. It is explained that the calculation depends on the shape of the iron and the magnet, and that the width of the airgap and their positioning also play a role. The conversation includes discussions on magnetic energy density, force, and the necessary ampere-windings needed for the magnet.
Ankhen
Hi. Can somebody make a calculation for me?
how strong do a magnet need to be to lift a mass of 75 kg iron 1 meter straigth up in 1 second.
Best Regards morten

Physics news on Phys.org
Ankhen said:
how strong do a magnet need to be to lift a mass of 75 kg iron 1 meter straigth up in 1 second.
It cannot be calculated just like that, because it depends on the shape of the iron and the magnet ( actually the shape of the airgap ).

So correct answers could be 1T or 100T, depending on the shapes.

Likes Ankhen
Hesch said:
It cannot be calculated just like that, because it depends on the shape of the iron and the magnet ( actually the shape of the airgap ).

So correct answers could be 1T or 100T, depending on the shapes.
Hi Hesch and thanks
Can you explaine it a little more, perhapse with some calculations so I can understand it?

Ankhen said:
Can you explaine it a little more
The attraction is not due to some "magnetic poles" inside the magnet, but due to magnetic energy density in the airgap between magnet and iron, which is:

Edens = ½*B*H [ J/m3 ].

Thus the energy: E = Edens*(volume of airgap) = Edens*(cross section area)*(width) of airgap = Edens*A*s.

The force: F = dE/ds = Edens*A.

Is the width of the airgap 1m in the starting position, or are magnet/iron closed up all the way ?

Likes Ankhen
Hesch said:
The attraction is not due to some "magnetic poles" inside the magnet, but due to magnetic energy density in the airgap between magnet and iron, which is:

Edens = ½*B*H [ J/m3 ].

Thus the energy: E = Edens*(volume of airgap) = Edens*(cross section area)*(width) of airgap = Edens*A*s.

The force: F = dE/ds = Edens*A.

Is the width of the airgap 1m in the starting position, or are magnet/iron closed up all the way ?

Can you calculate it with both airgap 1m and with the magnet/iron closed up.
It would really be a big help.
Do you have a email or facebook I can contact you? It seems like you know you way around this stuff,and I have some psysics-questions i prefer not to ask in a open forum

Ankhen said:
Can you calculate it with both airgap 1m and with the magnet/iron closed up.
Say that the total area, A = 0.1m2, then

Fdens = m*g / A = 7370 N/m2

Edens = ½*B*H = 7370 [ J/m3 ] →

B*H = B2 / μ0 = 14730 [ J/m3 ] → B = 0.136 T.

Now, if s = 1m, try to calculate the H-field needed ( B = μ0 * H ). Then calculate the amount of ampere-windings needed using Amperes law:

circulationH⋅ds = N * I.

You should use a -shaped magnet.

Hesch said:
Then calculate the amount of ampere-windings needed
PS: You will need about 216000 ampere-windings by a distance = 1m ( × 2 airgaps ).

1. How is magnet strength measured?

Magnet strength is typically measured in units of gauss or tesla. Gauss is the more commonly used unit for smaller magnets, while tesla is used for larger magnets.

2. What factors affect the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet is affected by its size, shape, and the materials used to make it. Additionally, the distance between the magnet and the object it is attracting also plays a role.

3. How can I calculate the strength of a magnet for lifting a specific weight?

To calculate the strength of a magnet for lifting a specific weight, you will need to know the weight of the object, the distance between the magnet and the object, and the strength of the magnet. You can then use the formula F = (magnet strength * object weight) / (distance)^2 to determine the required magnet strength.

4. What is the strongest type of magnet for lifting objects?

Neodymium magnets are the strongest type of permanent magnets and are commonly used for lifting objects. They have a high magnetic field strength and are available in various shapes and sizes.

5. Can I increase the strength of a magnet for lifting?

Yes, you can increase the strength of a magnet for lifting by using multiple magnets together or by using a magnet with a higher magnetic field strength. However, it is important to consider safety precautions when handling strong magnets.