Solve Buchert Equations for Dust Flow Averaging

• I
  • Thread starter Apashanka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary: Your Name]In summary, there was a small mistake in the calculation of the Buchert equations from the paper mentioned. The average should be taken separately for each term, not for the entire equation. This will result in the correct equation 2.7 with the coefficient ##\frac{1}{3}## in the ##Q_d## term.
Apashanka
Just trying to solve the buchert equations in this paper https://arxiv.org/abs/1112.5335 (eq 2.7,2.8 and 2.9) from eq.(2.3,2.4,2.5)
First the average is taken on the hypersurfaces orthogonal to the geodesic of the dust flow(along proper time ##\tau##).
Taking the average of the first term of eq. 2.3 ##<\frac{d\Theta}{d\tau}>=\frac{d}{d\tau}<\Theta>=3\frac{d}{d\tau}\frac{\dot a_d}{a_d}=3\frac{\ddot a_d}{a_d}-3(\frac{\dot a_d}{a_d})^2=3\frac{\ddot a_d}{a_d}-\frac{<\Theta>^2}{3}##
Averaging LHS of eq. 2.3 becomes
##3\frac{\ddot a_d}{a_d}-\frac{<\Theta>^2}{3}+\frac{<\Theta^2>}{3}##
(Given that ##<\Theta>=3\frac{\dot a_d}{a_d}## & ##\Theta## is the volume expansion rate.
Compairing with eq.2.7 rest are the same only fact is instead of ##\frac{1}{3}## there is ##\frac{2}{3}## in the ##Q_d##??
Am I missing some calculation mistake??

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this paper to our attention. I have taken a look at the equations you mentioned and I believe there may be a small mistake in your calculations. Let me explain:

In equation 2.3, the average of the first term ##<\frac{d\Theta}{d\tau}>## is taken on the hypersurfaces orthogonal to the geodesic of the dust flow. However, in your calculation, you have taken the average of the entire equation. This results in an extra term ##<\Theta^2>## which is not present in the original equation 2.3. This is why you are seeing a difference in the coefficient ##\frac{1}{3}## and ##\frac{2}{3}## in the ##Q_d## term.

To solve the Buchert equations, you need to take the average of each term separately, not the entire equation. This means that the LHS of equation 2.3 should be averaged as ##3\frac{\ddot a_d}{a_d}## and the RHS should be averaged as ##\frac{<\Theta>^2}{3}##. This will result in the correct equation 2.7 with the coefficient ##\frac{1}{3}## in the ##Q_d## term.

I hope this helps clarify the issue. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

1. What are the Buchert equations for dust flow averaging?

The Buchert equations for dust flow averaging are a set of equations developed by German physicist Martin Buchert to describe the average behavior of dust particles in a fluid flow. These equations take into account the effects of turbulence, particle collisions, and other factors that influence the behavior of dust particles in a fluid.

2. How do you solve the Buchert equations for dust flow averaging?

The Buchert equations can be solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve breaking down the equations into smaller, solvable parts and using iterative techniques to find a solution. Alternatively, analytical solutions can be found for simplified versions of the Buchert equations.

3. What is the significance of solving the Buchert equations for dust flow averaging?

Solving the Buchert equations allows us to better understand the behavior of dust particles in fluid flows, which has important implications for various fields such as atmospheric science, environmental engineering, and particle physics. By accurately modeling dust flow averaging, we can make more accurate predictions and improve our understanding of these systems.

4. Are there any limitations to the Buchert equations for dust flow averaging?

Like any mathematical model, the Buchert equations have certain limitations. They may not accurately capture all the complexities of real-world dust flow systems, and their predictions may be affected by uncertainties in the input parameters. Additionally, the equations may need to be modified or adapted for specific applications or scenarios.

5. How can the Buchert equations for dust flow averaging be applied in scientific research?

The Buchert equations have been used in various scientific studies to investigate the behavior of dust particles in different fluid flow environments. They have been applied to atmospheric dust transport, sediment transport in rivers, and the formation of dust clouds in space. By using these equations, scientists can gain insights into the dynamics of dust particles and their impact on the surrounding environment.