1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of curie constant

1. Jan 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

As none are responding to my query posted in Introductory Physics section, I am posting it here. Someone please guide me!!!
    1)The curie temperature of iron is 1043 Kelvin. Assume that iron atoms, when in metallic form have moments of 2 Bohr magneton per atom. Iron is body centered cube with lattice parameter a = 0.286 nm. Calculate the curie constant.

2. Relevant equations
    C = [(m^2)(mu)N]/[3K]

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved it in the following way:
    Let m be the magnetic moment of an iron atom, N be the number of atoms per unit volume, K be the boltzmann constant, mu be the permeability of free space and C be the Curie constant.
    m = 2[m(B)] {where m(B) is Bohr magneton}
    = 18.54 x 10^(-24) A-m^2
    N = n/(a^3) {where n is number of atoms in 1 cubic lattice of iron}
    = 2/[(0.286 x 10^(-9))^3]
    = 8.5 x 10^28 atoms per unit volume
    C = [(m^2)(mu)N]/[3K]
    C = 0.89
    But the answer given in my book is 0.66.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suspect the difference is related to the phrase "body centered cube". Are you sure there are 2 atoms per lattice cube? I'd check around under subjects like "atomic packing factor" to make sure.

4. Jan 26, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On second thought the 2 seems ok. Hmm. I'm no expert in this field.

5. Jan 28, 2007 #4
    What on earth is preventing you all from answering?????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?