Calculation of Natural Frequencies for a One-Dimensional Oscillator

• Thread starter Akshay Gundeti
  • Start date
Akshay Gundeti
Hi,

As far as I know, every material has different sets of natural frequencies associated with it.

For example,
A simple one dimensional oscillator with stiffness "k" and mass "m" has a formula for calculating its natural frequency = 1/2pie*squareroot(k/m). I was wondering if there are different natural frequencies associated with this oscillator then how will we calculate the other frequencies.

Is is just the integer multiple of the above frequency?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Akshay Gundeti said:
Hi,

As far as I know, every material has different sets of natural frequencies associated with it.

For example,
A simple one dimensional oscillator with stiffness "k" and mass "m" has a formula for calculating its natural frequency = 1/2pie*squareroot(k/m). I was wondering if there are different natural frequencies associated with this oscillator then how will we calculate the other frequencies.

Is is just the integer multiple of the above frequency?

Thanks,

Welcome to PF.

You may not be aware, but you have posted this message in the New Member Introduction. Like the title indicates, the messages posted here are to let new members introduce themselves to the rest of us here at PF.

If you have a technical question or need help with homework, PF has a variety of other forums, which are intended to accept these threads. Please choose the forum which best suits the subject of your question, and if it is one of the Homework forums, please read the rules of the HW forums and fill out the template with your question before posting.

Good Luck!