1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of dissolved total inorganic carbon

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to calculate Total Inorganic Carbon (TIC) for an experiment in which I have measured pH and Headspace CO2 concentration (%v/v). Approximate values are:

pH 7.3
    Headspace CO2 2.5 %v/v

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried two approaches:

Firstly I used the CO2 concentration and Henry's law constant to estimate the dissolved CO2 concentration, and then combined this with the headspace concentration to get total concentration.

Secondly, I have tried a more elaborate method, which takes account of dissolution of CO2 in water to H2CO3, HCO3- and CO32-, and uses the partial pressure of CO2 in the heaspace, the equilbrium constants for each reaction and the pH to calculate TIC.

I get two completely differenet answers, and I have no idea which one is correct.

Method 1 gives dissolved concentration that is similar to the headspace concentration, whereas method 2 gives a dissolved concentration that is approximately 10 times greater than the headspace concentration. Any thoughts on which is the correct method, and what kind of ball park figures I should expect??
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?