Calculation of Excitation potentialfrom I-V curve

In summary: James about calculating excitation potentialIn summary, to calculate the excitation potential from a current-voltage graph, one can either plot the distance along the x-axis versus peak number and calculate the slope using the method of least squares, or plot the distance from the 0th peak versus the peak number and calculate the slope. The ratio of these slopes gives the excitation potential. Another method involves using the current just before and just after to locate the peak precisely, but this method can be difficult if the current cannot be accurately measured. It is not correct to calculate the excitation potential by taking the average of the differences between minima positions, as this cancels out important information. Instead, all the information about the minima positions should
JamesJames
From a current v voltage graph, how does one calculate the excitation potential? I thought it was calculate the difference between peaks, take an average and this gives you the excitation potential? Is this right or is there a different way to calculate it?

James

Physics news on Phys.org
Plot distance along x-axis versus peak number. calculate the slope using the method of least squares. Plot distance from 0th peak versus peak number. Calculate the slope as before. The ratio of the slopes gives the excitation potential.

There is another method using the current just before and just after to locate the peak precisely. IT depends on whether you can accurately measure the current which is hard.

Perhaps someone else can describe another method. It is WRONG TO do WHAT YOU ARE SAYING as I have detailed below:

Say you measure minima position V1,V2,V3,V4,V5,V6

Then you calculate differences:

a1=v2-v1, a2=v3-v2, ... a5=v6-v5.

And then you calculate "average difference"

a= (a1+a2+a3+a4+a5)/5

But a=(a1+a2+a3+a4+a5)/5 = (v2-v1+v3-v2+v4-v3+v5-v4+v6-v5)/6=(v6-v1)/5 !

so you lost all the information about v2,v3,v4,v5 in your procedure, because you cancel them out. It makes no sense ! a1, a2 a3 etc. are not independent measurements and you are not allowed to take an average of them like that ! What you really measure is v1,v2,v3 etc. and you have to use all your information.

student

, your understanding is partially correct. The excitation potential can indeed be calculated by finding the difference between the peaks on the current-voltage (I-V) curve and taking the average. However, this method may not always be accurate as it relies on the assumption that the peaks represent the maximum current values. In reality, there may be other factors such as noise or fluctuations that can affect the peak values.

A more accurate way to calculate the excitation potential is by using the slope of the I-V curve. The excitation potential can be found at the point where the slope of the curve is steepest, also known as the maximum slope point. This point indicates the point of maximum energy transfer and can be used to determine the excitation potential.

Another method is by using the derivative of the I-V curve. The excitation potential can be found at the point where the derivative of the curve is zero. This method takes into account the entire curve rather than just the peaks, making it a more precise calculation.

It is important to note that the excitation potential is not a fixed value and can vary depending on the experimental setup and conditions. Therefore, it is recommended to use multiple methods and compare the results to get a more accurate estimation of the excitation potential.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of how to calculate the excitation potential from an I-V curve. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

What is the purpose of calculating the excitation potential from an I-V curve?

The excitation potential is a measure of the energy required to excite an electron in a material. By calculating this potential from an I-V curve, we can determine the energy levels and band structure of the material, which is important for understanding its electrical and optical properties.

What information is needed to calculate the excitation potential from an I-V curve?

To calculate the excitation potential, we need the current (I) and voltage (V) measurements from the I-V curve, as well as the material's bandgap energy and any relevant parameters, such as temperature and doping levels.

How do I interpret the results of the excitation potential calculation?

The excitation potential is typically represented as a graph of energy (y-axis) versus voltage (x-axis). The peaks in this graph correspond to the energy levels of the material, with the highest peak representing the bandgap energy. The shape of the curve can also provide information about the material's electronic and optical properties.

Can the excitation potential calculation be used for all materials?

No, the excitation potential calculation is most commonly used for semiconductors, as their band structure is well-suited for this type of analysis. It may also be applicable for other materials with similar properties, but it may not yield meaningful results for metals or insulators.

Are there any limitations to the excitation potential calculation?

Yes, the excitation potential calculation relies on certain assumptions and simplifications, such as the material being at thermal equilibrium and having a single energy band. These limitations may affect the accuracy of the results, so it is important to carefully consider the conditions and assumptions used in the calculation.