1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of Helmholtz energy

1. Sep 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The 4 fundamental equations of thermodynamics are:

dE = TdS - PdV
    dH = TdS + VdP
    dG = VdP - SdT
    dA = - PdV - SdT

Supose a gas obeys the equation of state

P = [itex]\frac{nRT}{V}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{an^{2}}{V^{2}}[/itex]

Use one of the fundamental equations to find the change in Helmholtz energy (A) when one mole of gas expands isothermally from 20 L to 40 L at 300 K. Let a = 0.1 Pa m6 mol-2. (1 L = 10-3 m3).

2. Relevant equations

Well the four fundamental equations should be a given. In particular, the fourth one for Helmholtz energy dA.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I tried integrating the fourth fundamental equation

[itex]\int[/itex]dA = -[itex]\int[/itex]PdV -[itex]\int[/itex]SdT

And since the process is isothermal, the last term is zero, and the Helmholtz energy is just the product of the pressure P and the change in volume ΔV.

But how would I obtain the pressure P? My first guess would be to plug in the known values into the equation of state:

P = [itex]\frac{nRT}{V}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{an^{2}}{V^{2}}[/itex]

I'm letting R = 8.314 [itex]\frac{Pa m^{3}}{K mol}[/itex] since that would lead to a dimensionally correct answer in Pa. My problem is what to plug in for volume considering I have two values.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2013 #2
    Yes. But just plug the expression in the integral, substitute the values in the end.

Well, what do you think? :rolleyes:

You are integrating with respect to volume. Do you know about definite integrals?

4. Sep 23, 2013 #3
    Yep! This was actually a very DOH! moment for me.

So I forgot that I can just plug in the equation of state and write P in terms of V.

This leads to the differential equation:
    -[itex]\int[/itex]dA = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{nRT}{V}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{an^{2}}{v^{2}}[/itex]dV,

from 20L to 40L

This comes out as
    nRT ln([itex]\frac{V_{2}}{V_{1}}[/itex])+[itex]\frac{an^{2}}{V_{2}-V_{1}}[/itex]

And plugging in, I come up with A = -1733.85 Pa m[itex]^{3}[/itex] = -1733.85 J

Does this look good?

5. Sep 24, 2013 #4
    I suggest you to check this again. The second part doesn't look correct. What is ##\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x^2}dx##?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. Sep 25, 2013 #5
    -[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]

I understand - From 20L to 40L, the later term should have the difference [itex]\frac{1}{V_{2}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{V_{1}}[/itex] multiplied by an[itex]^{2}[/itex]

7. Sep 25, 2013 #6
    You mean -1/x?
    Check again, you missed the minus sign.

When you solve ##\displaystyle \int_a^b \frac{1}{x^2} dx##, you get
    $$-\left(\frac{1}{b}-\frac{1}{a}\right)$$
    Do you see how?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted