1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of Higher Heating Value of LPG

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Liquid petroleum gas (LPG) is used to fuel SI engines. A typical sample of the fuel consists of 70% by volume propane (C3H8), 5% by volume butane (C4H10), and 25% by volume propene (C3H6). The higher heating values of the fuels are: propane, 50.38 MJ/kg; butane, 49.56 MJ/kg; propene (propylene), 48.95 MJ/kg. (A)Work out the overall combustion reaction for stoichiometric combustion of one kmole of LPG with air, and the stoichiometric F/A and A/F ratios. (B)What are the higher and lower heating values for combustion of this fuel with excess air, per unit mass of LPG?

2. Relevant equations

$$C_\alpha H_\beta +\frac{1}{\phi }(\alpha +\frac{\beta}{4})(O_2+3.772N_2)\rightarrow n_1CO_2+n_2H_{2}O+n_3O_2+n_4N_2$$

$$HHV=LHV+\frac{m_{H_2O}}{m_f}$$ where,
    HHV-Higher heating Value,LHV-Lower Heating Value

3. The attempt at a solution(my detailed hand-written solution is attached as thumbnail)

PART (A) question was answered(see below). PART(B) of the question I am struggling with.
    a.I am not sure if my methodology of unit conversion is righti.e from ([itex]\frac{MJ }{kmol} to \frac{MJ}{kg}[/itex].
    b.Is it right to calculate the HHV and LHV from {enthalpy of formation of product (with H2O as water and gas respectively)}-{enthalpy of formation of reactant}?
    c.Enthalpy of formation of reactant=0.7hf_C3H8+0.05hf_C4H10+0.25hf_C3H6, IS THIS CALCULATION RIGHT?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?