Is the Calculation of Lattice Energy Correct at Time 2:40 in This Video?

In summary, lattice energy is the energy released when an ionic compound is formed and can be calculated using the Born-Haber cycle. The charges, size, and distance between ions affect lattice energy and its calculation is important for understanding the properties of ionic compounds. However, there are limitations to the calculation as it assumes a perfect crystal lattice and does not account for covalent bonding or polarizability of ions.
gracy
In the following video,is he right at time at time 2:40

I don't think so .Because lattice energy of fe2o3 should be 36 times greater than Nacl (without considering radius factor)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think I have got my answer.He is right.in fe2o3 ,we will have to take product of charge per ion which is 6 (-2 on oxygen and +3 on iron)

1. What is lattice energy?

Lattice energy is the amount of energy released when an ionic compound is formed from its constituent ions in the gas phase. It is a measure of the strength of the ionic bonds in the compound.

2. How is lattice energy calculated?

Lattice energy can be calculated using the Born-Haber cycle, which takes into account the enthalpy changes that occur during the formation of an ionic compound. It involves calculating the energy required to remove an electron from a metal atom, the energy released when an electron is added to a non-metal atom, and the energy required to separate the ions in the compound.

3. What factors affect lattice energy?

The factors that affect lattice energy include the charges of the ions, the size of the ions, and the distance between the ions. Generally, the higher the charges and the smaller the ions, the stronger the ionic bonds and the higher the lattice energy.

4. Why is the calculation of lattice energy important?

The calculation of lattice energy is important because it helps us understand the stability and properties of ionic compounds. It can also be used to predict the solubility, melting point, and other physical properties of these compounds.

5. Are there any limitations to the calculation of lattice energy?

Yes, there are limitations to the calculation of lattice energy. It assumes that the ionic compound is in a perfect crystal lattice, which is not always the case in real-life situations. It also does not take into account the effects of covalent bonding or polarizability of the ions, which can also affect the lattice energy.