Understanding Magnetic Force: Formulas and Terminology

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force between two magnetized objects with magnetic fields B1 and B2. The main question is clarified to be about the force between the objects, and it is explained that magnetic fields do not exert forces on each other. The formula for the force in direction x is given, which involves the magnetic energy stored in the system and the derivative with respect to x. The meaning of 'a' and 'volume' in a magnetic field is not discussed.
neo2100
this is a very low level question:

I want to calculate the force that it is between two magnetic field .

PLZ give me a formula of it for B1 & B2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnetic fields don't exert forces on each other. Magnetic fields exert forces on moving charged particles, or on electric currents, or on magnetized objects.

I know that but I say my question in bad way.

mainly my question is about the force between two magnetized objects that have magnetic field (B1 & B2).

neo2100 said:
I know that but I say my question in bad way.

mainly my question is about the force between two magnetized objects that have magnetic field (B1 & B2).
Suppose the total magnetic energy stored in a system is

W = (1/2μ0)∫B2 dVvolume

Then the force in direction x is given by

Fx = ∂W/∂x

Bob S

thank you.

PLZ tell me that what 'a' & 'volume' means in a magnetic field?

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a force that is exerted by a magnetic field on a moving electric charge or on a magnetic dipole. It is a fundamental force of nature and is responsible for many phenomena such as the attraction and repulsion of magnets, the behavior of compass needles, and the formation of auroras.

2. How is magnetic force calculated?

Magnetic force is calculated using the formula F = qvB sinθ, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the object, v is the velocity of the object, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field. This formula is known as the Lorentz force law.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic force?

The unit of measurement for magnetic force is newton (N), which is the same unit used to measure other types of forces such as gravity and friction.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the magnetic force?

The direction of the magnetic field affects the magnetic force by determining the direction of the force on a moving charged particle. The force will always be perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the particle's motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of the calculation of magnetic force?

The calculation of magnetic force is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in electric motors and generators, magnetic levitation trains, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and studying the behavior of charged particles in space and in the Earth's magnetic field.