1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of temperature

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    • This homework question was originally posted in another forum so there is no template
    I know two formulas which is to do with change in temperature,first one is : Q=mc(T-t) and the second one is
    E=sigmaT^4. My question is the difference between these two and where we have to use either of these?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know a lot more formulas, but if I want to know what they are about, I need to look up the context in the place where I found them ! Did you do that also ? You are apparently reading up on heat transfer ?

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

The first is the total thermal energy which is contained within any object, ##c## is known as the specific heat, ##m## is the mass of the object and ##T## is the temperature. The second is know as Stefan Boltzmann law and describes the power radiated from a black body in terms of its Temperature ##T## with ##\sigma## that is the Stefan Boltzmann constant ...

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4
    Imagine having a body which has got a higher temperature than it's surrounding.we know that it will lose energy until it reaches the same tempreture as the other bodies around it.which one of those two asked in the first question will do this.

6. Oct 26, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both will do this. They use different mechanisms.

7. Oct 26, 2015 #6
    You need to use both equations in your analysis of the problem.

This is obviously homework which is misplaced in the wrong forum. I am moving it to a homework forum and issuing a warning.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted