Comparing Q=mc(T-t) and E=sigmaT^4 for Calculating Temperature Change in a Body

In summary, the conversation is about two formulas related to change in temperature: Q=mc(T-t) and E=sigmaT^4. The first equation calculates the total thermal energy of an object, while the second equation describes the power radiated from a black body. The discussion also mentions the need to use these equations in the analysis of a problem involving a body with a higher temperature than its surroundings. Both equations will contribute to the object losing energy until it reaches the same temperature as its surroundings.
Sobi
This homework question was originally posted in another forum so there is no template
I know two formulas which is to do with change in temperature,first one is : Q=mc(T-t) and the second one is
E=sigmaT^4. My question is the difference between these two and where we have to use either of these?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know a lot more formulas, but if I want to know what they are about, I need to look up the context in the place where I found them ! Did you do that also ? You are apparently reading up on heat transfer ?

The first is the total thermal energy which is contained within any object, ##c## is known as the specific heat, ##m## is the mass of the object and ##T## is the temperature. The second is know as Stefan Boltzmann law and describes the power radiated from a black body in terms of its Temperature ##T## with ##\sigma## that is the Stefan Boltzmann constant ...

Imagine having a body which has got a higher temperature than it's surrounding.we know that it will lose energy until it reaches the same tempreture as the other bodies around it.which one of those two asked in the first question will do this.

Both will do this. They use different mechanisms.

Sobi said:
Imagine having a body which has got a higher temperature than it's surrounding.we know that it will lose energy until it reaches the same tempreture as the other bodies around it.which one of those two asked in the first question will do this.
You need to use both equations in your analysis of the problem.

This is obviously homework which is misplaced in the wrong forum. I am moving it to a homework forum and issuing a warning.

Chet

1. What is the formula for calculating temperature?

The most commonly used formula for calculating temperature is the Celsius scale, which is T = (F - 32) * (5/9), where T is the temperature in degrees Celsius and F is the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.

2. How do you convert temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

To convert temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit, use the formula F = (C * 9/5) + 32, where F is the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit and C is the temperature in degrees Celsius.

3. What is absolute zero and how is it calculated?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, where all molecular motion ceases. It is calculated as 0 Kelvin (K) or -273.15 degrees Celsius (°C). This is found by extrapolating the Celsius scale from 0 K to -273.15°C.

4. How do you calculate temperature using the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law, which is PV = nRT, can be used to calculate temperature by rearranging the equation to T = (PV)/(nR), where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, and R is the gas constant.

5. What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while heat is a measure of the total thermal energy in a substance. Temperature is a single value, while heat is a measure of the energy transferred between two objects due to a difference in temperature.