Can mv^2 /2 + mu^2 / 2 + kq^2 / L = kq^2 /X? Find Out!

• Thread starter A13235378
  • Start date
In summary: But I was about to post my Excel simulation as a cross-check for the OP to check their work. Oh, wait...
A13235378
Homework Statement
Two identical particles with velocities u and v, which form angles α and β with the straight line that joins them, are at a distance l from each other. The charge of each particle is q. Determine the mass of the particles, knowing that the minimum distance between the two is X. Despise the gravitational interaction.
Relevant Equations
mv^2 /2
kq^2 /d
1596743358220.png
I can only say that:

mv^2 /2 + mu^2 / 2 + kq^2 / L = kq^2 /X

Yes or not and why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whatever translation software you are using isn't very good. "knowing that the minimum distance between the two is worth" sounds like a critical part of the problem, and I have no idea what that means. As for "Despise the gravitational interaction", I already do. :wink: We can't help you if we don't understand you.

Vanadium 50 said:
Whatever translation software you are using isn't very good. "knowing that the minimum distance between the two is worth" sounds like a critical part of the problem, and I have no idea what that means. As for "Despise the gravitational interaction", I already do. :wink: We can't help you if we don't understand you.

Sorry , I am spanish , my english is not very good. I already correct.

A13235378 said:
Sorry , I am spanish , my english is not very good. I already correct.
And "Despise the gravitational interaction" means to ignore the gravitational attraction between the masses, right?

(I also edited your thread title for you to make it a bit clearer) :smile:

berkeman said:
And "Despise the gravitational interaction" means to ignore the gravitational attraction between the masses, right?

(I also edited your thread title for you to make it a bit clearer) :smile:
yeah

Are you familiar with reducing a two-body problem with a central force to a one-body problem with a reduced mass ##\mu##? For example, see this .

It seems to me that you will be able to find only the reduced mass. You won't be able to find the individual masses of the two particles.

A13235378 said:
mv^2 /2 + mu^2 / 2 + kq^2 / L = kq^2 /X
That would be true if they were stationary at closest approach. Will that be so?

Likes TSny
TSny said:
It seems to me that you will be able to find only the reduced mass. You won't be able to find the individual masses of the two particles.
It says they are identical...

Maybe we should wait for a problem attempt.

Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Maybe we should wait for a problem attempt.

But I was about to post my Excel simulation as a cross-check for the OP to check their work. Oh, wait... :smile:

Likes Vanadium 50

1. What is the equation "mv^2 /2 + mu^2 / 2 + kq^2 / L = kq^2 /X" used for?

The equation is used to calculate the total energy of a system, which includes kinetic energy, potential energy, and the energy stored in a spring.

2. What do the variables in the equation represent?

The variable "m" represents the mass of the object, "v" represents its velocity, "u" represents its initial velocity, "k" represents the spring constant, "q" represents the charge of the object, "L" represents the original length of the spring, and "X" represents the stretched length of the spring.

3. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived from the principle of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant. By considering the kinetic energy, potential energy, and the energy stored in a spring, we can derive the equation.

4. Can this equation be used for any type of system?

Yes, this equation can be used for any system that involves a moving object, a spring, and an electric charge. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the energy of a system.

5. What are the units of measurement for the variables in this equation?

The units of measurement for the variables are as follows: "m" is measured in kilograms (kg), "v" and "u" are measured in meters per second (m/s), "k" is measured in Newtons per meter (N/m), "q" is measured in Coulombs (C), "L" and "X" are measured in meters (m).