Calculation of Thrust and Wing Area

In summary: Additionally, you also need to consider the conservation of mass equation, which states that the mass entering a system must equal the mass exiting the system. This can be written as:mdot1 + mdotfuel = mdot2 where mdot1 is the mass flow rate entering the system, mdot2 is the mass flow rate exiting the system, and mdotfuel is the mass flow rate of the fuel. By solving these equations simultaneously, you can find the values for the heat rate and mass flow rate of the fuel.
roldy
I posted I question in regards to shock angles on this very same problem earlier but now I have a new problem. I need to calculate the heat rate required in the combuster in order to ensure that the vehicle will cruise (delta z=0). I also need to find the mass flow rate of the fuel. h for the fuel is 1.2*108 J/kg.

Along with this, I need to find the area of the wing required to ensure constant altitude.
Attached is a crappy drawing of the hypersonic vehicle.

I have found all the forces for C, D, E, and for the wing I found the forces F and G in terms of the area.

The x forces resulting from the pressures on the different surfaces would hinder the movement of the vehicle. Thus they are the drag forces.

The y forces are the lift forces. And to maintain a constant altitude they must equal the weight of the vehicle.

Solving the y forces equation for area of wing( this term was included in the top and bottom forces of the wing...F=P/Area), I got a value of about 1.002 m^2

Plugging into the x forces for area, I got the thrust to be 19915.11 N

One thing that I'm not positive on is point e. How do I go about computing values for Mach, Pressure, Temperature, Total Pressure, Total Temperature, and Velocity if I can't get from ce to e due to lack of data (none) at ce?

So now I believe I can solve for the mass flow rate of the fuel and the heat rate required but I am not sure how to arrive at this point. I believe it involves the conservation of energy and conservation of mass.

mdot1+mdotfuel=mdot2

Qdot -Wdot +mdot1(h1+1/2U12)=mdot2(h2+1/2U22)

There is no work being done. Substitution for mdot2 and simplifying yields:

Qdot +1/2mdot1h1(U12-U22)=mdotfuel(h2+1/2U22)

This seems right but for some reason I believe I missed something here. There is no hfuel.

My professor pointed out to me that the prerequisite course for this class dealt with this kind of stuff albeit on a easier level. However, I did not take that course because I came from another university. The course there didn't cover much of this, just theory. So I am at a bit of a disadvantage. Sorry for the long post and crappy drawing. I really want to understand this (being that I spent 9 hours studying on the internet and solving for the various items). Any help would be awesome.

Attachments

• shockwave copy.jpg
    shockwave copy.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 643
Engineering news on Phys.org
To calculate the heat rate required in the combustor and the mass flow rate of the fuel, you need to use the energy balance equation. The energy balance equation states that the total energy input into a system is equal to the total energy output from the system. In this case, the total energy input is the heat rate and the mass flow rate of the fuel, while the total energy output is the thrust of the vehicle. Therefore, the equation can be written as:Qdot + mdotfuel*h = Thrust where Qdot is the heat rate, mdotfuel is the mass flow rate of the fuel, h is the enthalpy of the fuel and Thrust is the thrust of the vehicle. By substituting the values for Thrust and h, you can solve for the heat rate and mass flow rate of the fuel.

1. What is thrust and why is it important in aircraft design?

Thrust is the force that propels an aircraft forward. It is important in aircraft design because it is necessary to overcome drag and maintain flight.

2. How is thrust calculated?

Thrust is calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of the air passing through the engine by the difference in velocity between the air entering and exiting the engine.

3. What factors affect the calculation of thrust?

The factors that affect the calculation of thrust include air density, airspeed, and engine efficiency. Other factors such as altitude, temperature, and humidity can also have an impact.

4. How is wing area determined for an aircraft?

Wing area is determined by measuring the span and chord of the wing and multiplying them together. This calculation gives the total surface area of the wing.

5. Why is wing area important in aircraft design?

Wing area is important in aircraft design because it affects the lift and drag characteristics of the aircraft. A larger wing area can provide more lift, but also creates more drag. The wing area must be carefully chosen to balance these two factors for optimal performance.