1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation On Transformer

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello everybody, am confronted with this question:
    A transformer with 5500 turns in its primary is used between a 240V a.c supply and a 120V kettle. Calculate the number of turns in the secondary.

2. Relevant equations

The equation Es/Ep = Ns/Np can be applied in solving the problem.
    Where Es = e.m.f of secondry. Ep = e.m.f of primary, Ns = number of turns in secondary coil, Np number of turns in primary coil

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the formular:
    Es/Ep = Ns/Np
    Where Np = 5500turns
    Ns = ? becuase am required to calculate for it.
    For Es and Ep, I don't know the value to substitute in for Es and Ep respectively. Whether is the 240V or 120V. I don't know between 240V and 120V the one that is Ep or Es respectively.
    I can't go further with the calculation since am unable to substitute in the values into the equation correctly. Can sombody help me here please?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi chikis! :smile:
    the coil with the electricity source going through it is always the primary :wink:

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much tiny-tim,
    that answer have solved my problem. I will work the problem and forward the working in for all to view. Thank you once again, am very greatful.

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    Thank you very much tiny-tim,
    that answer have solved my problem. I will work the problem and forward the working in for all to view. Thank you once again, am very greatful.

6. Mar 31, 2012 #5
    Here is the working:
    Ep/Es=Np/Ns
    =240/120=5500/Ns
    :.
    Ns=5500*120/240
    =2750
    My thanks goes to tim-tim who has contributed immensly to this thread.

7. Mar 31, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes that's fine! :smile:

8. Mar 31, 2012 #7
    Thanks for that compliment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook