What is the Number of Turns in the Secondary Coil of a Transformer?

In summary, the question is asking to calculate the number of turns in the secondary coil of a transformer with 5500 turns in its primary, used between a 240V a.c supply and a 120V kettle. The equation Es/Ep = Ns/Np can be used to solve the problem, where Es represents the e.m.f of the secondary and Ep represents the e.m.f of the primary. The coil with the electricity source going through it is always the primary. With this information, the calculation can be done to find that the number of turns in the secondary coil is 2750.
chikis

Homework Statement

Hello everybody, am confronted with this question:
A transformer with 5500 turns in its primary is used between a 240V a.c supply and a 120V kettle. Calculate the number of turns in the secondary.

Homework Equations

The equation Es/Ep = Ns/Np can be applied in solving the problem.
Where Es = e.m.f of secondry. Ep = e.m.f of primary, Ns = number of turns in secondary coil, Np number of turns in primary coil

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formula:
Es/Ep = Ns/Np
Where Np = 5500turns
Ns = ? becuase am required to calculate for it.
For Es and Ep, I don't know the value to substitute in for Es and Ep respectively. Whether is the 240V or 120V. I don't know between 240V and 120V the one that is Ep or Es respectively.
I can't go further with the calculation since am unable to substitute in the values into the equation correctly. Can sombody help me here please?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi chikis! :smile:
chikis said:
For Es and Ep, … I don't know between 240V and 120V the one that is Ep or Es respectively.

the coil with the electricity source going through it is always the primary :wink:

tiny-tim said:

the coil with the electricity source going through it is always the primary :wink:

Thank you very much tiny-tim,
that answer have solved my problem. I will work the problem and forward the working in for all to view. Thank you once again, am very greatful.

tiny-tim said:

Thank you very much tiny-tim,
that answer have solved my problem. I will work the problem and forward the working in for all to view. Thank you once again, am very greatful.

Here is the working:
Ep/Es=Np/Ns
=240/120=5500/Ns
:.
Ns=5500*120/240
=2750
My thanks goes to tim-tim who has contributed immensly to this thread.

chikis said:
Ns=5500*120/240
=2750

yes that's fine! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
yes that's fine! :smile:

Thanks for that compliment.

What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer electricity from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of wire, known as windings, that are wrapped around a core made of magnetic material.

How does a transformer work?

A transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field induces a current in a nearby conductor. In a transformer, the primary coil, connected to an alternating current (AC) source, creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field then induces a current in the secondary coil, which is connected to the load circuit, allowing for the transfer of electricity.

What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers have more turns on the secondary coil than on the primary coil, resulting in an increase in voltage. Step-down transformers have fewer turns on the secondary coil, resulting in a decrease in voltage. Other types of transformers include autotransformers, isolation transformers, and instrument transformers.

What factors affect transformer efficiency?

The efficiency of a transformer is affected by several factors, such as the quality of the materials used in its construction, the design of the transformer, and the temperature at which it operates. Transformers with higher quality materials and better design tend to have higher efficiency. Operating a transformer at high temperatures can also decrease its efficiency.

How do I calculate the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer can be calculated by dividing the output power by the input power. This can be expressed as a percentage by multiplying the result by 100. For example, if a transformer has an output power of 500 watts and an input power of 600 watts, the efficiency would be (500/600) * 100 = 83.33%. This means that 83.33% of the input power is being transferred to the output.