1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculationg the electric field of an insulating sperical shell using integration?

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    Calculationg the electric field of an insulating sperical shell using integration???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We are asked to calculate the electric field at the center of an insulating hemispherical shell with radius R and a uniform surface charge density using integration.

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss's law
    E*A = Qencl/epsilon

dE = k(dQ/r^2) where k=1/(4pi*epsilon)

3. The attempt at a solution

I assume we can't use gauss's law since it asks for integration so I tried treating it as a ring of charge using dE = k(dQ/r^2)

dQ = lamda * dS
    dS = rd(theta)
    dQ = lamda * r * d(theta)

dE = k((lamda * d(theta))/r)(cos(theta) i + sin (theta) j)

and integrating from there but i dont believe it can be treated as a ring of charge.

Any suggestions??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Calculationg the electric field of an insulating sperical shell using integration

Hello nosmas. Welcome to PF !

There's not enough symmetry yo use Gauss's Law.

You should start by defining θ.

Shouldn't you be using σ (sigma) for surface charge density ? ... or are you given The total charge, Q, so that σ = Q/(2πR2) ?

dS = r dθ can't be correct. dS has units of area, r dθ has units of length.

If the hemisphere sits on the xy-plane and is centered at the origin, then the x & y components of the E field cancel, leaving only the z-component.

I does make sense to break the hemisphere up into rings of charge.

Assuming θ is the angle of elevation above the xy-plane, then the width of such a ring is Rdθ. The radius of the ring is R cos(θ) . The area of such a ring is the width times the circumference.

That may get you started in the right direction.

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3
    Re: Calculationg the electric field of an insulating sperical shell using integration

I should be using σ for the surface charge density I am just not sure how to incorporate it.

So the E field on the hemisphere is equal to the sum of infinetly many rings of charge?

I understand that the width of the ring is Rdθ and the radius of the ring is R cos(θ)

so the area of the ring would be 2∏R(Rdθ) but I dont understand where to use the area?

Using the general equation dE = K*(dQ/r^2) how would i incorporate σ into dQ?

Thanks

5. Feb 6, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You left cos(θ) out of your expression for the area of a ring. (I inserted it in the above quote.)

Charge = σ × area → dQ = σ dA = σ (2∏R)cos(θ)(Rdθ)

I don't know how you have the hemisphere oriented in your coordinate system, but ... As I said in my previous post: "If the hemisphere sits on the xy-plane and is centered at the origin, then the x & y components of the E field cancel, leaving only the z-component." In fact this is true for the electric field, dE, due to each ring. So, to find dE, use Coulomb's Law multiplied by sin(θ) .

Integrate the result to find E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook