Calculations with acceleration

In summary: You entered 1.2 \times 4 = 2.5 , but you should have entered 1.2 \times 4^2 = 19.2 .In summary, to calculate the distance traveled by the car in 4.0 seconds, you need to use the formula d = v_0 t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2 , where v_0 is the initial velocity (15 m/s) and a is the acceleration (-1.2 m/s^2). Plugging in the values, we get d = (15)(4) + \frac{1}{2} (-1.2)(4)^2 = 60 - 9.6 =
AymanLak
Homework Statement
Initial velocity=15m/s slows down to 10m/s in 4.0s. Acceleration= -1.2m/s^2
How far does the car travel in 4.0s
If the car were to slow down at the same rate how much additional distance would it travel before coming to a complete stop

Homework Equations

A=d/t
D=(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the acceleration which was the first part of the question and so for the second part (calculating distance traveled in 4.0s) I plugged in the 1.25m/s^2 in the equation d=1/2at^2 and got 2.5m which was marked incorrect. For the third part I have no idea how to solve it

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello AymanLak,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :)

AymanLak said:
Homework Statement
Initial velocity=15m/s slows down to 10m/s in 4.0s. Acceleration= -1.2m/s^2
I think you missed a key when typing in the "-1.2m/s^2". But I see that you corrected that below ([itex] a = -1.25 \mathrm{\frac{m}{s^2}} [/itex]).

How far does the car travel in 4.0s
If the car were to slow down at the same rate how much additional distance would it travel before coming to a complete stop

Homework Equations

A=d/t
D=(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the acceleration which was the first part of the question and so for the second part (calculating distance traveled in 4.0s) I plugged in the 1.25m/s^2 in the equation d=1/2at^2 and got 2.5m which was marked incorrect. For the third part I have no idea how to solve it

There's two mistakes going on there.

(1) The uniform acceleration formula of [itex] d = \frac{1}{2} a t^2 [/itex] only applies if the body starts from rest (i.e., if [itex] v_0 = 0 [/itex]). What is the full version of the formula if the object has a nonzero initial velocity?

(2) Don't forget to square the time in the [itex] \frac{1}{2}a t^2 [/itex] term.

What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How is acceleration related to force?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the force applied to an object. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is equal to the net force acting on the object divided by its mass. The formula for this is a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated by dividing the total change in velocity by the total change in time, while instantaneous acceleration can be calculated by taking the derivative of an object's velocity-time graph at a specific point.

How can I calculate acceleration from a distance-time graph?

To calculate acceleration from a distance-time graph, you can use the slope of the graph. The slope of a distance-time graph represents the velocity of the object. Taking the derivative of the velocity-time graph will give you the acceleration of the object at that point in time.

What are some real-life examples of calculations with acceleration?

Calculations with acceleration can be seen in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the acceleration of a car or a rollercoaster, determining the force needed to launch a rocket into space, or calculating the acceleration of a person jumping off a diving board. These calculations are important in understanding the physics behind various movements and can help engineers design efficient and safe transportation systems and structures.