1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculator Based Ranger CBR Help me asap

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    How does a calculator based ranger, or cbr, work? like the motion detector, with the TI- 83 calculator and computer. Like, explain the ultrasonic waves and sound stuff DUMBED DOWN please (:
    Pleaseee reply ASAP, need it for tmrw! PLEAASSEE!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where were you supposed to get this information?

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    we used cbrs for a lab, the teacher just wants us to study the whole idea of how they work, really brief like a couple of sentences.

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I Googled it. Not much on how it works. In my view, that's bad. They (suppliers) supply lots of labs for these. One should include a discussion of how they work !!!

Here's a short description.

They produce a brief burst of ultrasonic waves (high frequency -- short wavelength). Then the sensor "listens" for the reflection of similar frequency ultrasonic waves. It uses the time between when the burst was sent and when the return sound was detected to determine how far the wave travels to the object and back. It does this by using a reasonable value for the speed of sound. The distance to object that reflects the wave is 1/2 of the distance traveled by the sound wave. (There & back)

6. Oct 10, 2011 #5
    Ahhhh thank you sooo much! I really appreciate your time and effort, that's EXACTLY what I needed (: And yea, you're right; the suppliers should give more information :/ Nevertheless, you really helped me (:

7. Oct 10, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook