How Does a Calculator-Based Ranger (CBR) Detect Motion?

• Thread starter p.ella
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary: Glad to help!In summary, a calculator based ranger (CBR) works by producing a brief burst of ultrasonic waves and then detecting the reflection of those waves. It measures the time it takes for the waves to travel to the object and back, using a set speed of sound, to determine the distance to the object. The suppliers should provide more information about how CBRs work.
p.ella
How does a calculator based ranger, or cbr, work? like the motion detector, with the TI- 83 calculator and computer. Like, explain the ultrasonic waves and sound stuff DUMBED DOWN please (:
Pleaseee reply ASAP, need it for tmrw! PLEAASSEE!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where were you supposed to get this information?

SammyS said:
Where were you supposed to get this information?

we used cbrs for a lab, the teacher just wants us to study the whole idea of how they work, really brief like a couple of sentences.

I Googled it. Not much on how it works. In my view, that's bad. They (suppliers) supply lots of labs for these. One should include a discussion of how they work !

Here's a short description.

They produce a brief burst of ultrasonic waves (high frequency -- short wavelength). Then the sensor "listens" for the reflection of similar frequency ultrasonic waves. It uses the time between when the burst was sent and when the return sound was detected to determine how far the wave travels to the object and back. It does this by using a reasonable value for the speed of sound. The distance to object that reflects the wave is 1/2 of the distance traveled by the sound wave. (There & back)

SammyS said:
I Googled it. Not much on how it works. In my view, that's bad. They (suppliers) supply lots of labs for these. One should include a discussion of how they work !

Here's a short description.

They produce a brief burst of ultrasonic waves (high frequency -- short wavelength). Then the sensor "listens" for the reflection of similar frequency ultrasonic waves. It uses the time between when the burst was sent and when the return sound was detected to determine how far the wave travels to the object and back. It does this by using a reasonable value for the speed of sound. The distance to object that reflects the wave is 1/2 of the distance traveled by the sound wave. (There & back)

Ahhhh thank you sooo much! I really appreciate your time and effort, that's EXACTLY what I needed (: And yea, you're right; the suppliers should give more information :/ Nevertheless, you really helped me (:

You're welcome.

What is a Calculator Based Ranger (CBR)?

A Calculator Based Ranger (CBR) is a device used in physics experiments to collect data on the motion of an object. It consists of a motion sensor connected to a calculator, allowing for real-time data collection and analysis.

How do I use the CBR in my experiment?

To use the CBR, first connect it to a compatible calculator. Then, place the motion sensor near the object you want to track. Turn on the CBR and follow the instructions on your calculator to start collecting data.

What types of data can I collect with the CBR?

The CBR can collect data on the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion. It can also measure the time and distance traveled by the object.

Can I connect the CBR to a computer?

Yes, some models of the CBR have the option to connect to a computer via USB. This allows for easier data collection and analysis using software programs.

Is the CBR suitable for all types of experiments?

The CBR is most commonly used in physics experiments, but it can also be used in other subjects such as biology and environmental science. It is not suitable for experiments that involve very small or very fast-moving objects.