Calculator Inuts: DAL vs. RPN vs. CAS

In summary, there are three main calculator input methods commonly used in advanced math: DAL, RPN, and CAS. DAL input is commonly used in college level math, while RPN input is popular in HP calculators. In university and industry, mathematical computer programming languages such as Mathematica or Maple are often used, with RPN being a preferred input method.
deian
Calculator Ipnuts: DAL vs. RPN vs. CAS

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what calculator input methods are commonly used while learning advanced maths such as engineering/scientific maths.

I have just got the hp i41cx+ iPhone application, and while I can appreciate the advantages RPN input, I can't help but think that college maths would use DAL input calculators and then in university (physics) we would move on to mathematical computer languages such as Mathematica or Maple and not bother much with (for example) HP Calculators using RPN input methods.

OR... Do the more popular mathematical computer programming languages follow RPN over DAL?

What is most used in university and industry.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is a matter of taste and not a matter of common sense.

1. What is the difference between DAL, RPN, and CAS calculators?

DAL stands for Direct Algebraic Logic, and is the most common type of calculator used for basic arithmetic operations. RPN stands for Reverse Polish Notation, and requires users to enter operands first and then the operator in a specific order. CAS stands for Computer Algebra System, and is more advanced and capable of handling complex mathematical functions and equations.

2. Which calculator is best for basic calculations?

DAL calculators are the most commonly used for basic calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They are user-friendly and easy to use, making them a popular choice for everyday use.

3. Can RPN calculators handle more complex mathematical functions?

Yes, RPN calculators can handle more complex mathematical functions and equations such as square roots, logarithms, and trigonometric functions. However, they require a specific input format which may take some time to get used to.

4. Is a CAS calculator necessary for scientific research?

It depends on the type of research being conducted. CAS calculators are more advanced and can handle complex mathematical functions and equations, making them useful for scientific research in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. However, for basic calculations and data analysis, a DAL or RPN calculator may suffice.

5. Are there any advantages to using one type of calculator over the others?

Each type of calculator has its own advantages. DAL calculators are simple and user-friendly, RPN calculators can handle more complex functions, and CAS calculators are more advanced and can handle complex equations. It ultimately depends on the user's needs and preferences.