Solve "Calculator Problem" Homework - x,y Parametric Equations, Graph, c & d

• Thread starter Lindeza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the conversation discusses the parametric equations representing the path of supplies being dropped from an airplane flying at an altitude of 3500 feet and traveling at a speed of 300 mph. The conversation also mentions graphing the path on a calculator and calculating the time and distance it takes for the supplies to reach the ground. The conversation also includes the attempt at solving the equations and thanking for help.
Lindeza

Homework Statement

An airplane flying at an altitude of 3500 feet is dropping supplies to researchers on an island. The path of the plane is parallel to the ground at the time the supplies are released and the plane is traveling at a speed of 300 mph.
a) write the parametric equations that represent the path of the suppies
b)graph the path of the suppies on your graphing calculator and sketch the graph.
c)How long will it take for the supplies to reach the ground?
d) how far will the suppies travel horizontally before they land?
I think I can do c and d, but I can't figure out b. The graph won't work.
Its probably just that my equations are wrong. I have tried several window settings on my calculator ( Ti-84), the calculator is set in parametric mode&degrees, but it won't work.
Thanks for your help :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with these equations: (although I know that the first equation equals zero...)
x=t*l300l*cos(90)
y=t*l300l*sin(90)+1/2*(-32)t²+3500

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again Lindeza! :smile:
Lindeza said:
although I know that the first equation equals zero...

hmm … funny that … i wonder why that is … ? :wink:

i] what is the physical meaning, in ordinary language, of x=t*l300l*cos(90)
in this context?

ii] are you sure it's cos? :smile:

I think I know what it is now...:)
the y equation is correct, but the x equation is
x=t*300...
and I just graphed it without my calculator...still don't know why it didn't work...
but thanks for your help anyways!
:smile:

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express a set of coordinates (x,y) in terms of one or more parameters.

How do I graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, you can plot a series of points by substituting different values for the parameters and then connecting the points with a smooth curve.

What is the significance of c and d in parametric equations?

The parameters c and d in parametric equations represent the starting point or the initial conditions of the graph. They determine the position of the graph on the coordinate plane.

How do I use a calculator to solve parametric equations?

To solve parametric equations using a calculator, you can use the "solve" or "zero" function to find the values of the parameters that make the equations true.

What are some common problems that arise when working with parametric equations?

Some common problems when working with parametric equations include finding the domain and range of the graph, identifying the orientation of the graph, and determining the equations of the tangent and normal lines at a given point.